Well-Being Week: Day 1— Start with Awareness

AthletaWellTeam
Community Manager

Welcome to Well-Being Week! We’re thrilled to take five days of reflection along this well-being journey, together. 

This week, AthletaWell Guides will lead you through a progression toward balance and center, beginning from a seat of awareness, moving through release, taking up space and creating openness in your body and mind, and finally, bringing you back to re-ground in you. 

To work toward grounding, we need to observe what we're feeling right now, in this moment. Awareness that we're out of balance really is half the battle, and if you get quiet enough, your body will tell you what's going on. 

To kick this week off, check out Margeaux's 12-minute body scan HERE to get quiet, still, drop into your body, and invite awareness in. 

MicrosoftTeams-image (17).png

After finishing the body scan, share what you noticed with the AthletaWell community. Did you notice a tightness in your chest? Was it hard to slow down and stay still?  Or did you notice thoughts coming in which sped up your breath? There's no wrong answer!  

• Share what noticed in the comments section below or in the comments of THIS post in the by Thursday, Jan 13, 2022 for a chance to win a special prize.* 

*AthletaWell, non-Gap Inc. employee, members who comment on this conversation or on THIS post between 11:59pm PST Sunday January 9 - 11:59pm PST Thursday January 13, 2022 qualify to win the special prize. The winner will be selected at random based comments on this conversation or THIS post and will be notified by direct message from the AthletaWell Team in the AthletaWell platform by 9pm PST on Friday January 14, 2022. The winner will also be announced via conversation post by 9pm PST on Friday January 14, 2022 by the AthletaWell Team. All comments must adhere to AthletaWell’s community guidelines HERE. 

30 REPLIES 30

catalan

Taking time for stillness and self evaluation made me recognise my tensions and pains and allowed me time to finally listen to what my body has been trying to tell me. I also acknowledged that I get caught in the cycle of life and don’t take the time to check in with my body- to listen and praise it for the work that it does. I am going to make a goal do this before bed every night as a way to check in with myself

Eld3
Just finished, perfect mid day break right on the floor of my office. Took me all the way to the shoulders portion of the meditation to be still but then the stillness fell in deeply. I noticed the weight in my shoulders and neck the most. Feel refreshed! Thank you!

Yessssss!!! We don’t need an hour or all the gear to tune in! 

Sarah_E

I am SOO excited for this week! Lovely way to kick it off!

Jenn_G
Loved being able to do this mindfulness exercise during lunch break at my office! What a wonderful way to destress and take a moment for myself. Really helped me to refocus and get back to work with such positive intentions.

EIBUCKLEY

This was so relaxing and refreshing just what I needed on this Monday! Wonderful way to take a few minutes for me and relax!  Thank you

Dani_P
Community Manager
Community Manager

Such a wonderful way to kick off a much needed week of wellbeing and self-care! thank you Margeaux ❤️

Lmarxen

This was a perfect way to reset for the 2nd half of the day. It took a bit to relax and I had to be very intentional about bringing my mind back as it wandered.

Kimkrez

Just what I needed to relax! I always find myself so surprised at how much I clench my jaw! Needed this for a nice night time relaxation! 

Nicoleee

This was a great way to unwind before bedtime - I realized this calmed my mind and really brought awareness to myself and my body. Just what I needed to end a Monday!

Dresurre

Great way for a quick reset! I noticed my thoughts going somewhere else, but was able to notice it and go back to full awareness.

daniellekross

After a body scan, I feel super tapped into my breathe. I can feel into specific parts of my body which are generally tense like my jaw. It can be hard to focus on my body if I’m hearing distractions around me, but I try to not be too hard on myself if I follow a thought! Meditation is oh so good

Vltandon
I did this after a day of work. Didn't realize how tight all of the muscles in my face were! Will be keeping an eye on that today. Loved this exercise.

Beezer

Didn't think 12 minutes would be enough . . . but WOW, it was magic.

cterrazas
I just saw this post and would love to try the body scan/meditation, but can’t seem to find the link to it. I click on the link in the article above and it just takes me to community guidelines.

CarolineLav

I noticed tightness in my jaw and my shoulders.  Great practice that I will be returning to do often!

angieh88

Great exercise and reminder to be still and listen.

jhc
I’ve been doing body scans for a long time. I really needed to be reminded to just “notice” and not “judge.” For example when I get to the abdominal part of my scan I often notice I feel bloated and judge how I must look. After this video I’m encouraged to just send an extra breath and extra love to any part that’s not feeling well. Thank you!

Yojis

It doesn’t take much to just BREATHE and decompress

Leada_M
Guide
Guide

I noticed I have developed a habit of breathing differently! It took some awareness to bring the breath to my diaphragm and belly vs. chest.

doyk18

Loved this little breathe-break in the middle of my busy crazy day. It was a much needed oasis. Thank you Athleta for making this possible!

kaileyctown

Hi community!

During this scan, I felt a flutter in my body. There was a sense of movement within while physically being still  — honestly, it wasn't a negative thing! I think my body was ready to internally feel and process all that I was prepping it to do.

Tambell

I noticed I don’t stretch enough but it’s a new year and I’m a newly self focused friend to myself. I can incorporate this to my weekly movement routines. Thanks for the body scan. Lovely 

Kristina1

I noticed my tailbone stills hurt from when I feel this weekend!

mcb414

i noticed my body is more tired than i realized and need to do this more 😞

Divvagal19

I am a caregiver and employed full time and I can’t seem to find time for me. I am

usually too tired just wanting to lie down.

cfgwell

It was definitely hard to slow down and focus. The length of the meditation helped - became easier as the meditation progressed.

gss

This was a wonderful way to start the day-- bring in some awareness and release tension I didn't even realize I had! I feel much more of my breath now moving forward.

jamie_n

Feeling crunched with a few tight deadlines earlier in the week, focusing on the breathing exercise made me realize how much tension I was holding on to in my chest, neck and shoulders. Felt like the first full, measured breaths I was able to take in a few days - I didn't know how much I needed this.

klmaste

I used this to relax before bedtime post-surgery. It helped to quiet the worry monster in my head a little. Thank you!