lower back pain

NillaMarie
I get this random lower back pain and idk what its from. I’ve gained some weight so maybe that? But I find my lower back gets super tight and painful; especially if I’m walking around a lot. Does anyone else have lower back pain? Are there stretches or something I can do to stop it?
3 REPLIES 3

LPoplin

After just having two back surgeries for lower back pain(ended up being a herniated disc from a car accident 10 years ago), I recommend the Cat/Cow Stretch, it has been wonderful during the pre surgery and post surgery times. Also, I love to ice my lower back. A big ice pack can be pretty easy to come by, and it covers the whole lower back. Wishing you the best of luck as you walk through this time. 

asparling1986
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @NillaMarie - thanks for sharing! I'm looking in our Physical Therapy Guide (Leada) to see if she can offer some advice/support. @Leada_M - can you share your thoughts on @NillaMarie question?

Leada_M
Guide
Guide

Thanks @asparling1986 !

Hi Nilla,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this pain! What you're describing is a common complaint I hear - the cause though is individual per person. Some things that have helped people in the past include gentle stretching (child's pose, a mini cat-camel exercise, glute stretches) but it's always about gradually getting stronger. In this case it may be a mixture of core and lower body strength plus gradual exposure to greater load like squats and lifting things. You may also want to look at if your pain varies per shoe you'r wearing with your walks, or the incline of the hills too. 

A physical therapist would look at would be your range of motion, strength, the way you walk, and ask a series of questions about the pain. If it comes on with prolonged activity, it may be an endurance issue.  The back is very resilient and can become quite sturdy with the right pr Another tip I like to encourage is thinking positively about your body and its abilities! What we think about our backs especially during times of discomfort plays a role in our outcomes.  I always recommend properly getting assessed if the pain is starting to take away from your ability to enjoy life.  Feel free to private message with any questions!