hashimotos

aleoness
Recently got diagnosed with Hashimotos and looking to connect with women in the same situation. What changes have you successfully made to improve symptoms?
6 REPLIES 6

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear about the diagnoses, but you came to the right place for support! If you want recommendations on how food could help alleviate symptoms, our Nutrition Guide @Heather_C may have some ideas! @aleoness 

Solari1173
Hi there! I’m also dealing with Hashimotos. I avoid gluten 100% of the time. I limit processed foods and eat Whole Foods as much as possible. My doctor also wants my vitamin D levels well above 30, She actually prefers them above 50. I find keeping stress/cortisol levels down helps as well. I limit high intensity exercise and stick with walking, yoga and weightlifting. Hope this helps. Wishing you the best!

Heather_C
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the tag, @Vanessa ! As mentioned above, many women with Hashimoto's find that they feel better with a lower- or no- gluten diet, but I would approach that cautiously and with the support of a dietitian, if possible! You'll probably find a lot of information about extensive elimination diets, but please note those are not backed by much evidence, and I wouldn't recommend any client follow those. They're often much more harmful than helpful. ❤️ 

j3foster

Hi!  I have Hashimoto's for about half my life now and agree with the low gluten diet and to limit the amount of processed foods consumed.  That's doesn't completely cut them out (you still have to have a enjoyable life), but in moderation and plan ahead.  

AmiraA
@aleonessGive yourself alll the grace 💗. You got this! What I’ve learned from seeing an a great Integrative MD (who also practiced internal medicine) + my own research is that taking a slow, holistic approach will help you manage the disease now and is better long-term. Don’t rush to do all the things because it’ll become too overwhelming. You don’t want to stress your mind or body. Everybody’s body constitution is different so you’ll need to listen closely to your body and then adapt to how you are feeling. There are some basics for dealing with autoimmune disease you can do now to feel better and lower your antibodies. ~ Sleep hygiene - get at least 7 hours consistently. This is a key factor in healing. ~ Minimize stress levels & anxiety - Incorporate yoga & meditation. I use the Balance app, they have all types of meditations and they’re all excellent. Add some weights to your work out. Do things that are active & make you feel good at the same time ie: take salsa lessons or connect with nature. ~ Nutrition - nourish your body with whole foods. The less processed foods, better. Minimize/stay away from store bought junk marketed as “healthy”. I love crackers and sweets so I learned to make my own seed crackers and plant-based desserts. Cut out gluten, soy & added/refined sugars. Don’t deprive yourself either. When I’m on vacation and eat all the things, then I come back and get back on track 😉 ~ Supplements- this industry is not regulated by the FDA and many of them are cut with fillers so your body may not be getting what it really needs. Here are some brands recommended by my Dr + my research: Metagenix, Thorne, Dr’s Best (for Magnesium), Pure Encapsulations (you can buy on Amazon just make sure it’s sold from that company’s approved distributor). Slowly eliminate toxic cleaning products & detergents and replace them with non-toxic ones. Get labs checked regularly. Lastly, everything in moderation & remember to give yourself grace. You can find a lot of great info online, you just need to see what works for you. Sending healing hugs your way! 💕

bbbender
I’ve had Hashimotos for years and normally kept a low-gluten diet but unfortunately I haven’t found anything else to help. The next step my doc suggested was slowly trying to eliminate other common inflammatory ingredients. Izabell Wentz’ books have a good list of that to start with.