What are some of your favorite comfort foods?

Heather_C
Guide
Guide

I'm writing a piece for this community about rethinking "stress eating" as "comfort eating", and curious...what are YOUR favorite comfort foods, and why? I LOVE hearing stories about how food memories, and experiences, make a specific food (or flavor) feel comforting to us. So, I'm all ears. What comes to mind for you?

48 REPLIES 48

Marisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

for me comfort food is Slovak stuffed cabbages. I grew up in a Czechoslovak kitchen. My grandmother made these pretty much every week—boiled cabbage leaves, ground meat, rice, tomato sauce, tons of onions, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper. Makes me feel safe and grounded. I don't make them very well...otherwise I reach for dark chocolate as comfort food, along with peanut butter

Heather_C
Guide
Guide

Love this! I find that for so many people, comfort food is often something that someone we love (and who loves/d us) made for us 🙂 ❤️ 

KSky

When I think about comfort food I dream of creamy Mac n Cheese with bread crumbs and bacon. It's been off the 'list' for many years but the thought is, almost, as good. 

That sounds delicious! I didn't have "real" Mac-n-cheese until I visited a college friend's family on our freshman fall break. I love both, tbh. 😉 I hope you can enjoy this meal sometime soon and feel the comfort! 

Valerie_C
Guide
Guide
Noodle soup like pho or ramen 🍜

Mmm, sounds warm and cozy 🙂 

Dani_P
Guide
Guide

My mom's matzo ball soup and any kind of curry dish!!

Homemade matzo is the way to go! Sounds so good right now. 🙂 

I love a Spanish rice dish that my mom used to make. She was not a great cook and not many other people love the dish so I’m sure it’s just the nostalgia that makes it taste so good to me. 

Nostalgia is the main ingredient! 🙂 

Tanya61

My Mom’s homemade vegetable soup 🤤

Love it! For so many of us, a comfort food is something that someone we love makes for us. Food is such a love language! 🙂 

Alliekat_1979

I love chocolate! Just about any kind. I also love to eat Kiwi, strawberries and watermelon the most.

Big chocolate fan here, too! Peppermint + dark chocolate is a fave combo. And strawberries + chocolate. 😉 

kerryknits

Mashed potatoes. Yum!

Yesss! Not cauliflower or any other substitute. The real stuff! 

Pammy

French Fries!!

I have to ask: crispy or thick? Waffle or shoe string? So many questions. 😉 

Grilled cheese with bacon.

Yes, gotta appreciate a classic grilled cheese. 🙂 

Ugh69

Pizza

Classic! What's your favorite kind of pizza?

Dkt13

My favorite comfort food are cookies and coffee 

Together or separate? 😉 

MelissafromLA

To me comfort food are foods my family cooked like dinners my mom would make or pecan pie my grandma baked. Food that takes me to a safe loving place.

"food that takes me to a safe, loving place." Couldn't have described it better if I tried. 😉 

Any kind of starch seems to be comforting since I ate a lot of it as a child

Love this insight! I think so many messages make fun / light of "eating like a child", but so many people find it comforting. Nothing wrong with that!

Salud

Cakes are my favorite comfort food.

One of my faves, too! 

SaintJenni

Air popped popcorn with butter flavored cooking spray and white cheddar popcorn seasoning 😋

I loooove how specific this is! And now I want some popcorn. 😉 

Lorelei

BLT!

Angiepangie

Any kind of pasta!

Julyy

A warm bowl of pho noodle 

StillMu

Bohemian goulash, oyster stew, eggos. Anything my beloved grandmother used to make me regularly. 

Yes! Food as a form of love and care. ❤️ 

Kelly56

Comfort food to me is chicken and noodles.  I love to make egg noodles and freeze them so I can have them anytime.  

So smart! Make it easy to get that comfort food fix. 🙂