Midsection weight

CTurner
 anyone have any tips for what to eat or supplements to combat the midsection weight that suddenly appears in your late 40s? Very active and eating healthy but just can’t seem to make it go. Everyone says it’s a hormonal thing. Anyone find something that works? Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

maryjblake
I think this change in body shape is quite normal and as long as you are exercising shouldn’t be an issue for health. I know it’s not what your looking for but bodies change and I find that acceptance is better then some kind of fix that isn’t likely to work.

marsfit
try lowering your carbs- especially sweets. Try not to eat a big dinner- especially after 6:00 pm. Keep stress down- meditation helps. Deep breaths help Lift weights or do something that builds some muscle. And keep up the healthy eating and exercise. These all have reasons for being helpful- but not enough space to go into it. Good luck & enjoy your life👍😀

marciT

Being "very active" is excellent! Keep it up! However, if you aren't doing it already, it's time to add strength training to your routine 2-3 times per week. Get a trainer, learn how to lift safely, and load your muscles. Strength training helps regulate hormones and maintain and build muscle mass which regulates metabolism and bone mineral density. Win, win, win. Strength training is essential for women of all ages! You can start with bands at home.   Starting now will help your overall health tremendously as you approach 50, 60, and 70.  🙂 

Sheilavf

I hear you!  Sometimes we work out too much because of this midsection issue.  That can cause additional stress.  All the other tips are on point - weight training, lots of water, great eating.  But also sleep is crucial.  And ways to Destress- I took up yoga and my body feels better and better. We’re in this together.

These are all great suggestions!!  And yes, TOO much exercise can cause stress, causing weight gain.   

This proved to be SO true for me.  It's a very delicate balance of working out enough to get results but not too much due to stress overload.  I've also changed the way I workout.  I've always lifted weights, but now it's pure strength training and with very little to no HIIT style workouts.  Exhausts me too much, increases appetite and just wears me out.  If I stick to 3X a week of full body strength and walking and yoga, seems to be the sweet spot where I feel good and can still make the body changes I'm looking for. 

MR68

I’ve been struggling with this for the past few years trying to get back to my long-time held weight and it’s been a roller coaster doing that. I’ve always been active but when I started having this issue I did strength training with weights and fell in love with it; the only problem was that it made the weight gain even more bc I was hungry all the time from the weight lifting as my muscles were fatigued.  So I stopped that and then the pandemic hit which didn’t help. I’ve tried different eating modalities ie high protein, low carb, no carb but it’s unsustainable to rule out carbs. I’m back to running, walking and hiking more and strength training but with the mindset of portion control for eating. I think being in our 40s the weight sticks on longer; we’re more susceptible to injuries and when that happens the activity diminishes or stops but not the eating; we’re stuck with eating habits as though we were still active when we’re not. This is the problem for me. I want to regulate my portions so that when I decrease my activity level, I’m not stuck with eating too much and not burning it through the activity.  Hope that helps.

marylee

I try to eat only real foods, not processed, drink lots of water, exercise every day (mostly walking), less alcohol, no more caffeine (matcha tea instead) and eating only to about 80% full.

Sheilavf

our female hormones are changing in our 40s and 50s.  And when that occurs the rest of our hormones can get out of whack too.  Adrenal fatigue is a big one and that can be helped with clean eating and lowering stress.  Insulin can be a problem too so eat unprocessed carbohydrates and sugar in its many forms.  Vitamins to help - B, D, Magnesium, probiotics.  Happy to answer any additional questions you have

Kgratton

I'm going to suggest planks and side planks.  A strong core/tighter abs can make a not-so-perfect tummy less obvious.  

Cksasso

I agree there is no magic bullet of supplements. It's a combination of shaking up your work out routine, eating habits, as well as some acceptance and pride in looking damn good for your age! Take a good look at the activities you currently enjoy, be mindful in your food choices, and enjoy the wisdom you have obtained. 

strumbgkng

I too have gained in the midsection upon my 50's specifically.  I started with an elimination style diet and it helped me learn as I reintroduced different items such as soy, gluten, sugar and dairy, what was causing me to bloat.  After that 30 period, it was eye opening to me how what I ate affected my body!  I also use a 'shot' of super greens, skin collagen and importantly a prebiotic, probiotic and digestive enzyme that has been life changing.  So much so that I am a rep for these products now. I am not exaggerating when I say I lost 1 in of belly bloat in a week.  I can share more if you like about these products, just let me know.

Hi.  I am interested in learning more about the prebiotic, probiotic and digestive enzymes.  

Thanks.  

Jill

Hi Strumbgkng - I would love to hear more about your routine / brand of Probiotic, digestive enzyme and skin collagen.  Thank you

I have been looking into pre/probiotics off and on for the last few years and would love to learn more about what you use. Thanks!

Karen_C
Guide
Guide

I always tell my clients to start with hormones IF you are eating and moving like you have in the past and what used to work no longer does.  You may hear your levels are "normal" Normal does not mean not treatable. Once you can find a "balance" you may start to see results.  Next I'd go with gut health.  Our gut microbiome changes in midlife so you may need to make a few simple dietary changes to help you improve your gut health 

Hope this helps some.  

DebMarPir

I started perimenopause at 42. With it began irritability, problems with sleep and eventually, weight gain. Also brain fog. I am 55 now and needed to lose 60 pounds for a decade. The only thing I have found that works is exercise while maintaining through diet. Then I will lose. But I have pain and am tired a lot. After four years of doctor appointments and trouble walking, it seems I have fibromyalgia and was about to have a left hip bursectomy, but it made way to a back burner for my first knee replacement in 2 weeks. So we need to realize our bodies can’t always do what we like. Muffin tummy can mean other things give way! I have also spent 20 years caregiving and am so tired. It’s improving though and I am now feeling more optimistic with a sleep program, orthopedic program, etc. So I guess I am saying, never give up!

badids

Just starting “Next Level” by Stacy Sims. She seems to have a great explanation for what we go through with the hormones and how to eat and workout. Still early in the book but it’s quite promising and there is quite great feedback on what she teaches in the book.

Thank you for mentioning Next Level book. I just downloaded it at reading it - it looks great. As an athlete seeing my body change so drastically in the past few years is an emotional roller coaster in itself. This is the first book I’ve picked up on the subject that speaks to people who have been active their whole lives. We’ll see if these ideas work.