Is what we know about our metabolism true?

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you all checked the NYTimes article that came out last week about metabolism?:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/health/metabolism-weight-aging.html?referringSource=articleShare

It is a really interesting read, and it made me rethink what I thought I knew about metabolism. I always believed that it slows when you are older and differs between men and women, but the study done shows different results. What did you grow up knowing about metabolism? I also heard of people speeding up their metabolism, but I didn't know that was a thing until recently. Looping in @Tiffany_L  as well, hopefully you can give some good insight!

4 REPLIES 4

Margeaux_H
Guide
Guide

This is an interesting article but as a woman who has strugglesd with weight since a child and is now in menopause it sure does feel like my metabalism (or lack there of) has slowed down and now more than ever taking off a pound is sooo much work.

@Margeaux_H Yeah I think though the article is about facts and studies, it's important to recognize real experiences people face with age! Its cool to read but I still have my suspicions haha

Rachel_M
Guide
Guide

Interesting article! I tried to access the actual study but it requires a payment. The numbers here are interesting and my mind points to understanding how stress impacts weight gain/weight loss and metabolism. Stress is seemingly difficult to measure. Then there is genetics! But overall, it is hopeful to know that 20-60 years old our metabolism generally maintains.

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Omg yes @Rachel_M stress and genetics are sooo important to take into account. That would be something I'd love to read about because I always hear debates about whether genetics really does play a part in weight/metabolism or not