Hysterectomy

Krhodes

Hello there

4 weeks ago I had a hysterectomy and appendectomy for my endometriosis and the grapefruit sized fibroid in my uterus.  I am 43 and the mom of 2 boys 17 and 13.  It has been very frustrating trying to get back to some semblance of normalcy I’m exhausted all the time and my back hurts from not moving enough.  I would love suggestions from other women who have been through this!!!

14 REPLIES 14

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @KHrun24!, I'm sure you've been going through a lot these past 4 weeks. Hopefully other members who have gone through the similar situations have some tips that can help you out! Let's also see if our Physical Therapist @Leada_M has some mobility stretches to help with your back

Bugmama

I’m having a hysterectomy in two weeks because of endometriosis. Sending healing vibes to you! 

SHodges

So sorry to hear you are going through this. I also went through a hysterectomy at age 39 (after having 2 previous c-sections with my boys). I found yoga and Pilates worked for me in gaining my strength back. It is a slow & frustrating healing process with your abdomen so listen to your body for sure. Praying good health and healing for you.

mainerunner

After my hysterectomy it took me close to 6 weeks to be able to start adding walking and running back in. I would try to add more in before then, but overdo it and end up unable to do anything the next day. Your body is healing right now, and so all your energy is being focused there. Abdominal surgery like this is no joke, and you really need to respect it, even if you can't see what is healing. I know it is hard, but meet your body where it is at and give it time to heal, and let your family fend for themselves and take care of you. Before you know it you will be doing everything for them again and be wanting some down time 🙂

Leada_M
Guide
Guide

@Krhodes I'm so sorry i's been a rough road back Although thank goodness you got that fibroid taken care of... that must've been stressful. Back pain is definitely multifactorial but the location of the surgery can really impact how you move at that area. A few general tips: gentle cat-cow, child's pose, diaphragmatic/360 breathing (see this example short video on my Instagram!), and short walks then working up your time/distance can be helpful. I'd also include some easy glute bridges and wall sits to fire up the whole system a little! If you think a short video on this would be helpful, let me know! Maybe video responses would be a good idea... although join my livestream next week and I can talk about this over Zoom!!

Marisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

thanks for sharing your experience with us @Krhodes and wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have the green light on movement / exercise from your doctor, our Self Love series taught by obé instructor @Alex_obé might be good option with four classes at 10 minutes each 💓let us know what kinds of movements feel good for you 🙏

miamiblonde
Best decision I ever made. I was walking the next day 3 miles and the giant fibroids that I had or causing me so much pain and bleeding that I am so happy I had it done.

@miamiblonde - any reccos for @Krhodes that you can offer up given you went through this recently? 

miamiblonde
I actually have a picture of my progress on my Instagram which is the same name that I’m using it here.

Magwill45
I was in your shoes, same circumstances, at age 37. (I’m 66 now). I switched to compounded hormones and a good vitamin regimen after a year of not feeling myself- My vitality returned and all has been great since that time. Trust yourself !

rlkoll

Did they give you a referral to PT?  If you have a clinic in your area specializing in Women's Health, Pelvic Floor PT, or Pre/Post natal care, you should schedule an Initial consultation.  They will have a wealth of self-care info for you.

I second this! Thanks for advocating for it @rlkoll  😊

jennim

I was also 43 when I had my hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo oophorectomy (48 now). However, I do not have children, I also found it difficult to get back to normal. I wasn't sleeping but a few hours a night and had horrible menopause symptoms. To strat to gain back strength, I started walking slowly. That's also all I was cleared to do by my doctor. Sometimes it was just to the end of the driveway and back. I struggled to be patient with myself as I'm a very active person and I really didn't like how I had lost endurance. I would suggest some walks to get you moving, whatever you can tolerate, that could help your back ease up a bit. Careful with forward folding movements, but if your belly can tolerate it, you might find that helpful with your back. Walking really did help me feel a bit better, getting outside in the sunshine really helped me most. Sending healing vibes to you! Remember to be patient with yourself, you're doing great. 

alice

Hello!  I am the only one in my family to not have a hysterectomy yet, but I have helped my mom and sister through their recoveries.  My suggestions are to find a great pelvic floor PT, and have patience with yourself.  Your body has been through a lot and sometimes it just takes a long time to recover.  I had surgery to clean up my endometriosis and remove some large cysts, and it took me months to feel like myself again.  The wounds healed quickly, but I generally think it was a pretty traumatic event for my body.  Hang in there!  You will feel better in just a bit of time.