Do vitamins really do anything?

NillaMarie

My doctor says I’m vitamin D deficient so now I take vitamin D pills every day. Besides my nails being stronger, there’s really no difference. I kind of want to stop taking them tbh because what’s the point. Does anyone else take vitamins/supplements and do they actually do anything? 

7 REPLIES 7

Marisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

I take vitamin D during the winter months 2,000 Units daily. I live in a sunny climate so I don't take them during spring and summer. I get bloodwork done every year to make sure levels are good, so this regimen seems to be working for me. That's it! I don't take anything else other than vitamin D in the winter. I do eat raw fermented kraut every morning for probiotics...if I didn't do this I would take a probiotic supplement.

YogaMom88

I have taken many supplements and vitamins over the years and some made me feel better than others. I think it’s important to “spring for the good stuff.” Getting your vitamins from a reputable company and source is a big deal since this industry is not very well-regulated. Maybe look for a knowledgeable person at a health food store or consult with a nutritionist to get recommendations that make sense for your needs and keep you from wasting money. 

Completely agree about finding a reputable brand for vitamins

aquagal49

I don’t take any supplements but every now and then I go for B12 shots to boost my energy when I’m feeling sluggish! 💪

Heather_C
Guide
Guide

Vitamin D supplementation is helpful when needed, but there has been a bit of "over diagnosis" of VD deficiency in recent years. Some people notice increased energy, and it can help with improved bone health if needed. Vitamin D is fat soluble, so it may be worth asking if you need to take it every day, or if every few days is sufficient. It may help to take it with a fat source (or usually a meal/snack is fine, so long as that meal or snack has some fat in it!). And then safe sun exposure for 10-15 minutes per day may be helpful, as that's how we actually "make" vitamin D. (Has to be uncovered skin.) Before you stop taking the supplement I'd wait to check in with your doctor, to see if it helped at all, and then discuss other ways you might be more comfortable with keeping VD levels within a healthy range for you. 

Valerie_C
Guide
Guide

Low levels of vitamin D are associated with low energy and even insomnia.  I agree with @Heather_C in that you should talk to your doctor if it is still necessary to continue taking it.  

ItIsKarenLane

Hi NillaMarie, Vitamin D is aids in calcium absorption - they go hand in hand! Those two are good measures to add to your annual blood panel to monitor that you have appropriate levels going on. 

Cheers ~*