Any of you ever have Hyperemesis Gravidarum?

Sarah_E

Hi AthletaWell fam! Many of you know from some of my recent classes that I'm preggers with #2 and while we're VERY grateful and excited for our new addition, I also have a pregnancy-specific condition called Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG) which is severe nausea and vomiting that lasts throughout the 40 weeks and often can lead to hospitalization, which happened to me over New Years. Did any of you face this in your pregnancies? Would love to commiserate and maybe get some advice, or at the very least, let you know that you're not alone!!!

Lots of love,
Sarah 

6 REPLIES 6

Valerie_C
Guide
Guide
Hi!! Congrats on baby #2 and all the joys and not so joys that come along with it. I was pretty nauseous with both pregnancies but not quite HG. I was a big fan of all things ginger. Ginger tea, ginger candy and ginger ale. Lemon and B6 are also other remedies but honestly there were times it was so bad I just took prescription strength anti-nausea medication to make it through the day and I felt so much better. Hope you get some relief and you are definitely not alone. Sending hugs!

Sarah_E

thanks love. Believe it or not ginger has been found to exacerbate HG?! It's wild, but B6 is the best and been taking every day. Btw how are YOU feeling?! XOXO

Dani_P
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm so sorry you're going through this @Sarah_E ! I'm also really grateful you're bringing this into the conversation because I had never heard of HG before and am sure there are so many other women who have or might in the future experience this too. sending you big hugs and hoping you are able to find ways to keep feeling better ❤️

Thx lovey. I hadn't heard of it before Amy Schumer, but it seems to finally be coming into people's awareness. It's rare, but common (if that makes sense). XO

I had HG with all six of my pregnancies. No fun at all. I had home health delivering IV bags. I always lost a ton of weight and could barely get out of bed some days. I never found anything that I did that mattered. It was either a good day or not. But, I did end up on a concoction of prescription meds that helped. Zofran, phenergren, prescription antacids, and even motion sickness meds. I didn’t use the motion sickness ones very long, but the other three together were a life saver. My last pregnancy was the best because we finally figured it out. I had to eat all the time to avoid getting nauseous, but so worth being able to function. Good luck!

Sarah_E

oh my goodness, all six?! I don't know what I'm more blown away by, your resilience to endure this 6 xs or 6 kids!!! Thanks for this. I think you hit the nail on the head with "It was either a good day or not." I've had a lot of those can barely get out of bed days, but thy make me very grateful for the ones I can. Thx for the meds suggestions. I have  tried Zofran and Reglan and Bonjesta (and just B6 of course), but still need to find my winning combo. also the eating alllll day is a must! Thx for bing such an inspiration !