Alternative fasting

Chicago869

Anyone doing alternate fasting? I will be 52 later this month, the hot flushes for me are more like night sweats, they started in May,I rarely have any during the day. I have also noticed that the days I fast I feel colder in general ( right now I am doing 2 48 hours fasts per week)

4 REPLIES 4

fbnutrition

What are your goals for the alternate fasting? I've researched different types of fasting for myself & clients. While there are more positive results for men, women in perimenopause may have a rise in cortisol with certain types of fasting. Every woman needs to take a close look at how she is responding to assess this. I didn't do well with a long fast but working with a 12:12 timed eating window is very effective for me - progressing to 14:10. 

kj36928

@Chicago869 the hot flashes are killing me, I get them at all hours. I never thought of fasting to get rid of them. I carry around a mini wireless fan from room to room to keep me cool

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Maybe @Heather_C or @Tiffany_L can chime in and help out!

Heather_C
Guide
Guide

Hi @Chicago869 ! Sorry to hear the hot flashes are causing some distress and discomfort. Would you say that the fasting has helped with that? Or any other symptoms you're experiencing?
Just my perspective as a dietitian: Fasting for 48 hours is really long (as I'm sure you know, since you're experimenting with it!), and not something I have seen in the "fasting" world. I wouldn't recommend this clinically for any reason. As noted above, maybe consider dropping to shorter fasts, if this is something you want to continue experimenting with. The drop in core body temperature could actually be related to the body not having enough energy (calories) regulate your normal body temperature. For example, it's a symptom we see in restrictive eating disorders. So if we were working together one on one, that might be a big cause for concern and a sign that your body isn't getting what it needs. 
I hope that's helpful for some consideration!