Advocating for Yourself in Healthcare: Do you feel heard?

Leada_M

As a physical therapist, I spend a lot of time with patients. Sometimes multiple times per week over several months. I love listening to patients. I feel like they are the best story-tellers of their case and hearing about their pain experience is truly eye-opening. I find its incredibly important to validate, listen, and stay compassionate. 

Unfortunately, I still hear stories of negative experiences in healthcare. People will complain they didn't feel heard or that their concerns were dismissed. It breaks my heart every time! After I work with them and they go see their physician, or IF someone comes to me and warrants referral somewhere else, I always ask if they need help communicating their needs.  This way I can equip them with some questions to ask, etc to *hopefully* help.

Have you had any occurrences of this? What would have been better?

Would it be helpful to hear some tips on how to advocate for yourself?

4 REPLIES 4

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Would love tips for advocating at the doctor's office! I've left the doctors office in tears one too many times. I always feel rushed when talking about what I'm going through. A lot of their solutions are to either take medication or get over it. I find that there's never follow up or details on how to get better. I really don't go to the doctors anymore because its a waste of money in my eyes! 

Amen to this. I feel this sooo much. 

A-McBride

You are truly amazing at helping people feel seen and heard. 

Valerie_C
Many many thoughts about this. Our healthcare system is broken and it doesn’t honor the sacred doctor patient relationship. Some healthcare corporations give doctors <10 min face to face time with patients. Find someone who listens and cares. You have options.