Is anyone else struggling with menopause and covid pounds?

Margeaux_H
Guide
Guide

I am fully in menopause and put on a few lbs during covid which was to be expected with less movement for a year. But, now I have been mindfully eating and moving reguarly for a while trying to get back to my pre-covid weight but feel like menopause is killing me!  Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get through this? 

11 REPLIES 11

Marisa

Hey Margeaux! @Margeaux_H Although I am not going through menopause, I',m 35, I can relate to COVID era weight gain. I actually exercised more during the pandemic than ever before in my life—teaching all of my livestream yoga classes, AND I snacked more than ever, because the cupboards are right. there. 🤣 versus pre-pandemic when I was on the go between studio to studio. Even with the "reopening" I am struggling to wear "real pants" that fit me before the shutdown. I have always had a sweet tooth since childhood, and the pandemic got me really re-addicted re-hooked on sugar. While we may be going through this for different reasons, I can relate to the pre-pandemic post-pandemic weight expectations. For the first time in history, I'm letting myself off the hook and taking one day at a time. (I'm a Capricorn planner; outcome influencer; strategizer, so this is a good mind exercise for me). I'll let you know how it goes meeting myself with compassion and releasing expectations one day at a time 💞 

Hi Marissa thanks for sharing.  I feel you on the not beating yourself up about it.  I have been trying to be super mindful but don't subscribe to the idea of things are off limits.  Just trying to navigate the way my body has been changing during "the change".  I'll keep you posted on my progress as well.

ericakuhl

I'm RIGHT on the cusp of menopause too and during the pandemic I put on ~10 pounds putting me at my highest weight since I've had kids.  I reached a breaking point and decided to get back to a weight I felt comfortable with.  Like @Marisa my jeans were the guide 😂.    

I found that unlike in the past when I've needed to reign it in - I had to keep myself very accountable by keeping a journal of everything I was eating, calories, and fat.  As well as my exercise plan.  I found that best so I could see and track my progress each week and weighed in on Sundays to see where I stood.  I don't like to diet and like to eat what I like, so instead of cutting out a ton of things I opted for cutting down on snacking and eating smaller portions sizes.  I also tried to keep myself focused during the week and allowed some splurging on the weekend.  So cut out fried food and really scaled back drinking alcohol during the week.  I felt like I needed to limit happy hours a bit too because it was challenging to keep to my plan.  And I also cooked most all meals at home if possible so I could control portion sizes and cravings to eat all the bread they drop at tables when going out!  Bread and carbs are my weakness!  

I know everyone is unique, but this worked for me and I'm back down to my pre-covid weight!  Sadly I have to keep super focused still since i'm on the cusp of menopause and my body has really shifted.  But now I'm at a place I can let up a bit and not be so strict.  Hope this helps a bit.  KEEP IT UP - YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Here's a pic of how much I love bread - a friend got me a baguette pillow for my birthday!

IMG_6015.jpg

OMG I love this pic!!! And I probably love bread just as much as you do.  Thanks for taking the time to share and I do agree with you taking the time to be mindful about what I am eating and when has worked for me in the past and I have been working to get back to that mindset. Also isn't it crazy how a what you want to be a portion and what really is a portion can be 2 totally different things 😅.  The struggle has really been the fact that menopause makes it extra hard to take off a pound but I am working through it in order to get back to a weight a feel comfortable with...I know I just need to stay consistent and not beat myself up as I am doing the best I can to get there.  Thanks for the encouragement I will keep you posted on my progress.

Marisa

@ericakuhl well at first I was fixating on my jeans! now I'm fixating on this baguette PILLOW. I need this in my life. where can I get myself one of these?! thank you SO MUCH for sharing. we love to see this! 🤣

I got it as a gift from a friend who's equally obsessed with bread.  She also got me matching baguette slippers too.  They are insane!  I can ask her where she got them.  She's the best gift giver ever!  I recently got her a baguette smelling candle.  ha ha!  It's a running joke between us who loves bread more!

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Turns out it's from good ole AMAZON!

Marisa

@ericakuhl no way! I feel like I want a whole collection of food shaped pillows. thinking an avocado 🥑 would be perfect too my fave

MarthaKaplan

I love that baguette pillow @ericakuhl ! I feel you @Margeaux_H I am actually on the other side of menopause (64 years old) and have seen all the changes in my body and sleep! Covid was particularly tough but I kept up with my exercise. I tried not to be so hard on myself. I bought a SoulCycle home bike and walked every day. Also did some Zoom and online yoga classes. What kept me on track was trying to cook healthy meals and not bring sweets into the house.  

Thanks Martha!  I agree with you on showing yourself some kindness and not beating myself up.  I have been trying to focus more on doing all the things that make me feel well and knowing that the results will eventually follow.