What's in your DREAM postpartum / maternity closet?

Guen_E
Athleta Product Expert
Athleta Product Expert

Hi everyone! My name is Guen, one of your Athleta Product Experts here to help you navigate your style and product needs.

Finding the perfect postpartum and maternity clothes can be challenging. Your body is changing, and you need clothes that make you feel both comfortable and confident every single day.

Are you currently in the postpartum stages? Or perhaps you've gone through this in the past.

If you had a magic wand, what would make your clothes perfect for maternity and postpartum?

Would you give your favorite leggings more stretch in the waistband? Or put absorbent cups in your blouses? Maybe add more chic patterns to your maternity dresses?

Tell us in the comments below what would make your clothes perfect for you and your needs. Our designers want to hear from you, so don't hold back!

20 REPLIES 20

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Calling Toddler Moms @Heather_C @Sarah_E 📣 Curious to see what the perfect clothes would have been for you both....

carochambers

something between the lulu align waistband and the salutation waistband. lulu is too stretchy, salutation not stretchy enough for pregnancy.

Yes - this is spot on!

Yes! Completely agree with this. While I did manage to wear my lulus throughout my entire pregnancy, they did tend to sag down a little once my belly got bigger. 

Heather_C
Guide
Guide

Anything that is nursing-friendly and great for activity! There are so few brands (only one I really know of) that designs activewear that allows for easy nursing, especially sports bras. Otherwise, definitely agree with @carochambers -- a stretchy / supportive waistband. I was able to wear lulu aligns until the day(s) I went into labor. but postpartum it feels a little too stretchy. Also a big fan of shirts that are loose at the bottom with ends that tie, which allows for them to be worn all through pregnancy and easily transition to postpartum. 🙂 

Heather_C
Guide
Guide

I have found that during my pregnancies (3 total), I was able to wear a lot of activewear brands that have longer tanks and flowy shirts. The stretch always works for the first trimester,, it's just the length that makes it wearable for the full pregnancy. Currently wearing an Athleta LS shirt that is pretty long in the torso, and also wore it all through my most recent pregnancy. 🙂 

CarrieFit

This is such an important discussion. I help postpartum women with Diastasis Recti and pelvic floor function, and one thing they are looking for is just enough compression to feel held, but not squeezed. And for the breasts to be well supported and also accessible in case of breastfeeding emergency.

pentaxk
Postpartum it would have been nice to have pants that not only had the high belly coverage that maternity clothes have, but with more compression. Trying to wear compression belts was super uncomfortable when trying to sit or bend over. But maternity pants with the stretchy high belly coverage was too loose.

Lilisjourney

I am 4 months postpartum. I am still looking for clothes that fit my ever changing body. Ideally, I want clothes like pants that look like jeans or nicer joggers but fit like comfortable leggings. I want it have medium/light compression and fit my wider hips and wider stomach. I currently live in the Farallon hike joggers bc I can dress up and dress down. 

Kmhilgart

Postpartum tops for me would have a zipper down the middle at least halfway and be loose fitting, but tailored and a material that doesn't show the contour of a healing body. High stretchy waistbands on pants are nice, or underbelly low riding. I would really love for fleece to come back! Generally speaking. 

Alexandra36

6 months postpartum here, and I love my high waist salutation capris that are one size up… but wish they had an even higher waistband. While I’m working on my fitness goals, I still need pants that stay in place and are in between a maternity waistband and high waist. Thanks for asking this question!! 

emilyrb

The salutation joggers have been wonderful postpartum. While I don't necessarily get the compression I sometimes want, I feel like they are great for being on the floor with the baby and are appropriate for going out of the house. Maternity pants are too loose but you still need to be comfortable in this stage and these joggers have been wonderful I even feel somewhat cute in them which is saying a lot right now! 

santo051

Thanks for posing this question.  Overall I found athletic maternity and postpartum clothes to be limited in size, availability, color, and style.  One thing I found difficult to find prenatal and postpartum was a good pair of workout shorts.  I also would love to see more cold weather activewear for pre- and post-natal.  Postpartum I found that drawstring pants with a stretchy waistband were good because as I lost weight I could adjust the waistband by tightening the drawstring.  I was able to wear my maternity leggings for a short time after giving birth but the panel quickly became too loose.  Sizing up with normal leggings has been hit or miss.  I like a moderate amount of compression in the waist but find that some are uncomfortably tight. I also love pockets in pants and shorts because when you are holding baby you need somewhere to stash your phone or other things.  I would have loved to try on maternity pieces in store, but almost everything was online only.  As your body changes, it's really hard to order online and be confident you're choosing the right size. Even if physical stores didn't have inventory to purchase on the spot, I'd love to see a few pieces on hand in stores for try-on purposes.  

KATIEK1418

I would have love a soft long sleeve top is a cotton that wicks (often sweaty in late pregnancy and postpartum period) and had a zipper that unzipped from bottom up either down the middle or on the side to be fun and yet functional for breastfeeding needs. 

Also, as others have shared high waisted leggings that could assist from pregnant to postpartum body changes. 

ChristieSpell

High waisted, soft, pants that can transition easily with post partum weight loss, and maybe even work during the maternity phase. Basically a stretchy waistband that doesn't pinch and maintains it shape. Structured, comfortable maternity sweatshirts so you look put together with little effort. I think a post partum sleeping/nursing set with a robe and nightgown or traditional PJ option (absorbent would be incredible, both for milk and post partum night sweats) would be a big hit as well for gifts. 

alice

I am 25 weeks pregnant, just starting to get big, and I am living in my studio joggers.  I love that they are super soft, and the waistband can be super tall, or more of a normal height.  They are the best pants I have found for sonogram appointment days, because they are so stretchy and soft.  They are even comfortable when the sono techs bunch them down for and hour!  Can you make the legs warm like sweatpants for the winter, but keep the top slim, soft, and comfy, pretty please?

As far as tops go, I am finding that many of my tops are not long enough.  I have seen other pregnant people posting online showing lots of skin, but I am in my thirties and the weather is getting cool.  I prefer to keep myself covered.  Tunic-length sweaters would be perfect.  It also seems like someone is always wanting my blood, so it would be extra nice to still have the ability to easily roll up my sleeves in a sweater (i.e. plenty of arm stretch).  And in the perfect world these magical sweaters would look cute and work for nursing even after the baby arrives.  I feel weird buying nursing-specific tops right now, but I know I am going to want them eventually.  So many nursing tops are very obviously for nursing, and I'm not mentally ready for that yet.  And I would really not want any accidental exposure 🙂 

Stephlivz

I’ve found maternity and postpartum clothing from typical brands I like to shop at are either lacking or nonexistent… and the brands that do have some good stuff have limited inventory, and common sizes always seem to be sold out. I waited half of my pregnancy to buy a few items I wanted, which stinks considering pregnancy lasts a limited amount of time. 

Now that I am 14 weeks postpartum, I am yearning for a few things…

One is Tights with a forgiving waistband… not maternity, but also not cut-off-your-circulation tight! Something to bridge the gap between 9 months pregnant and having time to lose some points and shed some inches.

The second thing id love to see more of are cute and functional sports bras that double as nursing bras. I have to swap between bigger sports bras I bought when pregnant and my nursing bras when I do have a bit of time to exercise, as I don’t have any that seem to serve both purposes. 

Lastly - anything from athleta that is nursing friendly, like long flowing tops! Long is key, my favorite things to wear right now need to hide all of the insecurities!

Ames123

I would definitely make lower cut leggings. I had issues with my waistband of my leggings rubbing on my c section incision. It hurt and made me so afraid to get pregnant again. I don't want to have to go through another c section. The procedure itself wasn't too bad, the feeling of material on my incision was the worst feeling ever.

My second csection recovery was cake compared to the first one. Had barely any pain at all!

P5dean

I’m almost 4 months postpartum. I’d love some cute joggers, similar to the salutation that could last throughout pregnancy. My salutation joggers got me to about the second trimester, then they were too tight.  But I was able to get right back in them postpartum which was great. I’d love a nursing sports bra. There are so few on the market. I’m not big on nursing specific shirts, since they’ll only get worn while I’m nursing. I just like loose and flowy tops that are easy to pull up to nurse. Like another comment said, a legging halfway between the Saluation and the lulu align would be perfect! The athleta leggings waist band is just too tight to get through anything past the first trimester. Things that don’t require you to size up, with the prices of athleta it’s not a brand I can really afford to buy another pair to wear just while pregnant and then get no use out of once my baby’s born.