My Style After Covid (although Covid is still here)

Scooby_Doo

A little long but here we go... I’m a 46 year old mom to a 7 year old boy. Before Covid, my style was jeans and chunky heels that I’d wear to go out or to the office. Fast forward to over a year into Covid, I am starting to go out again, see friends, and I don’t know what to wear. During Covid I became obsessed with Athleta as I wanted to look put together, stylish and comfortable. Also, we moved from the city to a more rural area where women are not as high maintenance and have more of a chic relax style.

Last night we were going to a small party at my friends house and it was so hard to decide what to wear. I started with jeans and booties with chunky heels (my old fashion life) as the outfit is chic and nice but quickly realized that that wasn’t comfortable, especially the shoes! All I wanted was to be chic and comfy and didn’t know how. After a few tries, I ended up with skinny jeans and loafers. 

Do you have any tips/ideas/advice/pictures of how to style Athleta clothes in a more sophisticated way… meaning, how would you wear pants, for example, to go out to a restaurant at night, or to a friend’s birthday party where you want to be comfortable and look good, add nice accessories but no sneakers (maybe booties, flats, loafers?). Athleta's pants are all for it as the style and fit is great, I just don't know how to style it as I mostly wear their pants with sneakers.

16 REPLIES 16

alicegoryn
You should just be yourself. Dress how you feel comfortable. The brooklyn bottoms can be used for dinner . Dress them up or down. Cheers

@alicegoryn - Yes, I'd never try to be someone other than myself. And I know I don't want to wear heels and tight clothes anymore. What I'm struggling with is finding a style that I like and ideas, that's why I'm asking for help/tips/ideas.

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Scooby_Doo Finding what my style is during this pandemic has been so hard! I totally feel you, the most important thing is to find what you're comfortable in! Let's see if @Guen_E (an Athleta style expert) can give you some great tips on ways to style Athleta pants for a night out 🙂

tycho324

I really appreciate your question and honesty--I struggle with this myself, but maybe I can share what's worked for me. This whole time has given me pause to find the reset and reevaluate.

So to style clothes, rather than have a ton of clothes (which we can all forget we have--yes, I bought the same shirt twice before), look at shoes and accessories. I kind of have 2 modes for styling these days: active daily, and "more festive" (yep, still not going out like we were). The one shoe that continues to deliver for me--a clean, white leather sneaker. With a dress, a jogger, pant--its my go to. Now my more festive look, I am excited by the boot look of something like Doc Martin or Sam Edelman's lace up. I bought Athleta's cashmere cardigan, pair with one of their black tops, solid pants and boots. For what it's worth, I am 47 and live in NYC--and no. I have no job in fashion. 

I am loving wearing the white tennis shoes with almost everything. It started out because I was recovering from a fractured ankle. Now I’m loving it(still healing). Also still working from home so almost everyday is Athleta wear.

All4Athleta
I love to dress up tights. Right now my favorite tights are the newer ultimate stash pocket textured 7/8. Mist black/Cool grey. They are fairly dressy. Pair them with a favorite black top maybe a sweater. I wore the renew tank to a party. Also the Black Forest merino wool ascent top or tank would go great as well. Add a chunky necklace and booties and you are styling!

All4Athleta
Another great tight that is dressy on its own is the Delancy herringbone tight. They run long. So if your short like me, you’ll have to order a petite. They are a beautiful tight! You can wear it with any kind of a top but right now Athleta is pairing with the urbanite top. The top drops lower in the back to cover your assets. It’s a very classic look.

Alexa

I wear Athleta all year long.  During the summer I use the skorts with sandals, heels or flats.  When it gets colder, I wear my pants/tights with confortable, yet chick booties, a top and maybe a vest or a wrap.  Wraps are really beautiful and warm ... my favorite is Pranayama. Pants I love for everyday: Headlands Hybrid Cargo II TightDelancey Gleam Moto Tight and Delancey Gleam Tight.

molly
Community Manager
Community Manager

There are a few new Athleta sweaters that are so comfortable but also make me feel a little more "put together":

Hanover V Neck (this one you can sort of do the front tuck thing to add a little more structure) & the Hawthorn Textured Crew. 

I also like wearing the Brooklyn Ankle in black with white sneakers (stan smiths or something similar) with a sweater on top. I totally hear you on this whole thing!! 

jen52
I’m right there with you! I have a ton of clothes. Work clothes and active wear(Athleta). Now that we are out and about again it’s hard to decide what to wear and it’s even harder to shop. I just can’t justify buying actual clothes. I have so much in my closet and I’m still working from home. However I don’t have a problem buying more active wear. 😂😂😂

@jen52 so glad to hear I'm not the only one! I have tons of shoes and clothes. Some that I bought right before Covid and have never been worn! During covid I became obsessed with Athleta and this is all I wear all day long whether I am working from home, running errands or going out... but I'm struggling with the going out part because I haven't been able to find a more of a dress up Athleta style. I keep looking at how Athleta is styling clothes and I like how they pair their pants and tights with booties... but anything else? I look at my pre-covid closet and I don't want to wear any of that anymore!!!! 

I also had these thoughts as I have been returning to work. I teach barre and yoga on the side, so when at home I rocked a constant leggings and cute tank look. I agree with the Brooklyn Pants and anything else "travel/commute" activity. ALSO, moto leggings with the pockets and my black street Hokas and a cute sweater. But I would say really look at the Travel/Commute area. I live in this stuff. 

Also, while it's going into fall...I know the long dresses are going out...but I love rocking a maxi with a fun kimono on top for a jacket and some colors along with some sandals. That is a very specific look but it works!

almiller23

I love Athleta's Brooklyn ankle pants and have dressed them up and down! They are alittle pricier, but I'm also personally loving all of Amour Vert's pants right now. They are also elastic waited and super comfy but slighly elevated compared to Athleta. For shoes, my go-tos are Tom's booties. So comfy yet chic. My go to are still a pair of comfy ballet flats, they go with jeans, dresses, everything. And I've also been rocking the white sneaker and dress trend for a go-between dressy/casual look! Good luck, but above all - you'll look the best in whatever you feel the most confident/comfortable in!!

Shello

I purchased the Nolita wide leg pants in black and navy and they are my go to pants for everything. I’ve paired them with everything from platform sneakers and a white tee, to wedge sandals and a floral blouse. They have a tuxedo stripe down the legs and are simply perfect with everything. I’m looking forward to wearing them with boots this fall. But the best part...they are super comfortable! I know you said no sneakers but there are some great platform styles out right now (I have black ones from Michael Kors) I play up my jewelry if I want a more dressed up look by layering necklaces and adding a few skinny bangles. Happy shopping!
https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=6576650020004&cid=1181740&locale=en_US&vid=1#pdp-page-...

Nmtrjt

Athleta has been my go to for quite a few years now. I love most all of the clothes. I bought the headlands Hybrid pants a few years back ( the style isa bit different now) in several colors. I wore them out (pre covid) all winter with fun sweaters and booties for a more dressed up look and long sleeve tees with vests for a more sporty occasion. I play a lot of golf so I wear them for golf in the winter. The stellar trousers are lighter in weight and I have them in several colors. You can dress them up or wear them athletically they are great. I have gone on several trips this year and find it easy to pack my Athleta gear to mix and match. I also love their knit dresses and the skorts which you can also wear out.  Different accessories (shoes and jewelry) make it easy to go from day to night with most of the clothes.  Would be happy to send you pics if you want.

cyoungblood

@Scooby_Doo I'm right there with you! I think ALL of our styles have changed over the past year and a half. One thing I've found that works is to elevate my activewear set or dress, by adding a waterfall collar vest or a long coat. Throw on some slip on sneakers that have a little personality and I'm good to go! 

Try adding a piece or pieces that speak to YOU and your style now be it fun colors, vibrant prints, jewelry, scarf, etc to easily transition your look from day to night. Good luck on your style journey! Here are some pics for inspiration:

elevated activewear.jpegpic44.jpegpic45.jpeg