CYA - Cover Your Assets

mkboerb

I was recently browsing the Athleta.com website, which I do quite regularly.  I’ve always loved the Athleta brand for its size inclusivity and body positivity that it promotes.  While scrolling through tops I was shocked to see a new “subcategory” called CYA- Cover Your Assets.  When clicking on the icon, I was 100% expecting to get a search return of sports bras, or a new line of shapewear, etc.  To my surprise, the search results seemed to be all types of tees, wraps and sweatshirts.  I’m not sure how this aligns with the brand, promoting women to cover their assets instead of accentuating their assets.  Who’s for AYA – Accentuate Your Assets?

5 REPLIES 5

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @mkboerb, I'm sorry for the confusion on what the CYA category would entail. Athleta is all about size inclusivity, the CYA category isn't meant to discourage women for loving and showing off their body as they want to! This is great feedback about how we label our products and we will pass this along to our teams. 

Hi Vanessa, I see this differently. Over the years I have wanted to like the Athleta brand but found it off putting because it was expensive and seemed tailored to skinny girls. It’s only recently that I started seeing normal girl models. I was pleased when I saw the CYA because there are days when I just want something that actually does cover my ass. I’m tall and curvy and that stuff is hard to find. I don’t think your CYA covers enough. I’m waiting for it to improve before dropping $100 on a top.

mkboerb

@Vanessa Thanks much! I will continue to love Athleta, however it just seemed very off brand.  

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

I totally hear you @mkboerb, I really appreciate you letting us know!!

I would like to add that sometimes longer length for tops that might "cover your assets" isn't even about modesty or being ashamed of your butt; it's just that certain people like to put the line break between top and bottom half in different places. Some people really like to have that block of color from the top be very short and stop at the natural waist or higher (crop top) and maybe it makes them look taller or accentuates the waist, and some people want the top to be very long because of how tall/short/long/hourglass/whatever it makes them look. I don't even want to get into "flattering" vs "unflattering" because that implies there's a right and wrong way to do it all, but it's about what makes you happy when you look in the mirror, and I think there's nothing wrong with calling out long length as a feature. But I agree the name doesn't have to be CYA.