Training outside in the cold

Chris_F
Guide
Guide

Oh my goodness friends - we just had our first below zero windchill day here in Minneapolis! BRRRR!  I am an outdoor dog walker and despite the fact that I am NOT a fan of cold weather -I've adopted a few tricks to make it possible for me to continue outside power walking in the winter.  I have rallied a group of girlfriends and we hold each other accountable to get outside on the weekends.  During the week - I use the outdoor walk to catchup on a podcast. With it being so dark outside early- I try to take a break in the morning or the lunch to power walk.  Also - my dog loves the cold and looks at me with sad eyes to get outside! 

I also know that my must have item is POLAR FLEECE leggings.  I am here to tell you they are a game changer.  They are 3 times warmer !!  I also always use hand warmers and I layer up!! 

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=486200002&pcid=999&vid=1&&searchText=polartec%20leggin...

Nonetheless-I'd love to hear any tips and tricks you all have - How do you stay motivated?  What do you wear?   Do share below - we cold weather warriors need to help each other out! 

8 REPLIES 8

MamaCook

I struggle trying to figure out what to wear on top when I run in the cold. There are so many options out there and it's confusing.

Well - layers is key - a tight warm layer on the bottom ... so I do like one of the Athleta Foresthill Ascent turtlenecks.  Then I do a lighter weight down vest and then a big winter jacket over that .... 3 layers is key in the cold winter weather!! 

I need to try this turtleneck! What is the material?

it's stretchy - I think it has some wool?  Not itchy at all but perfect base layer and it's cute with jeans too!!~ 

jesse_me
Thermal leggings, thick socks, a headband or beanie, and a puffer jacket!😎

jesse_me
I also get out at lunchtime now. It’s a good way to break up the day too!

Valerie_C
Guide
Guide

Great topic!  WOW below 0???

I just moved from Hawaii to California and I am learning to love the chilly mornings and nights.  I bundle up with a fleece sweater for my walks around the block with the kids and also keep them brief <15 min.    

Leada_M
Guide
Guide

OMG @Chris_F you lost me at below 0!! Lol! I'd love some tips too.. I walked out last night to head to the gym in the rain with my umbrella... I crossed the street and got 1/4 of the way there when my umbrella died in the wind and the rain was WAY more aggressive than I had planned. I turned around and came back. It was late, I was cold, upset, and over it. So, I ordered a pizza instead. It's called living 😆Needless to say, if anyone has any STRONG umbrella suggestions out there, please share! I feel like there is never a good one for the bay area wind!