Is Athleta still size inclusive? 3x no longer being carried in store

BelG

I am a loyal Athleta customer. I was thrilled when the company expanded its sizing and made the commitment to have sizing up to 3x online AND in store. I was saddened to learn today as I was shopping in store that the 3x has been phased out for in store purchasing even though it is available online. At this point I know my sizing and can usually tell if something will fit based on sizing, but loved having the option to purchase in store if I was in the mall. It makes me wonder if Athleta is still committed to providing high quality clothing to customers with larger bodies. I hope that is not the case and I’d like to encourage corporate to reconsider their current position. 

13 REPLIES 13

DanielleL14

This is wildly disappointing. When Athleta launched plus sizes they committed to have all products available in the full size range by the end of 2022. They still have numerous products that do not come in plus, and worse they seem to be reducing not expanding what's available in plus. I saw a range of new-for-fall colors in core products and new products that didn't come in plus sizes. Recent visits to my local store have demonstrated a smaller and smaller collection available in-store - and because there is no plus size section, I have to scavenger hunt around the whole store to find out which styles are stocked in plus. And now the removal of 3x. All of this is not only insulting, it's also incredibly unwise from a business standpoint given that plus size women are the majority. I have money to spend on high-quality, well-designed plus size clothing and I would like to (and do!) spend it at Athleta. But Athleta's failed commitments are making me think hard about whether this is a brand I can continue to support. 

I agree, I live Athleta and wondered if it was just bad luck that I was not seeing 3x in store. I love the brand and quality of product and felt safe and seen in store, this is changing how the feel about it all!

BreannD

That’s ridiculous! It hasn’t been very long since they’ve had the sizes in store (and during the pandemic, etc) so it’s not as if they’ve given much time for folks to adjust! In all the forums I’m in Athleta is recommended more or more for plus sizes but this is the kind of stuff that loses you customers!

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We hear you and appreciate you for letting us know! I'll be sure to pass this along to our internal teams 

Thank you. I will happily chat with anyone on those teams who would like to discuss further. Please do not be like so many companies that commit to more inclusive in store sizing and then renege. It is beyond frustrating. 

mariannem379
Agee Athleta needs to support plus sizes. There are many of us that are willing to support companies that carry plus sizes .

mariannem379
What would you like to share...

ElizabethL38

This is very frustrating and discouraging. I have a huge problem with brands pulling back on expanded sizes and making it more difficult for plus size folks to shop in stores. I’ve heard rumblings of Old Navy possibly doing the same thing and it is infuriating. GAP needs to go all in on supporting their plus size shoppers. We need clothes too!

RachelC663
I couldn’t disagree more. As a tall person, I’ve never had companies make clothes for me. ever. Athleta/gap is one of the very very few that does but I never expect that to be carried in store. I’d suggest your check your entitlement and be happy that it’s offered online because forcing brands to carry, rarely purchased sizes, in-store tells me you don’t understand retail business, metrics, the cost to operate brick and mortar. Margins are terrible-by pushing for the convenience of in-store, you may be inadvertently driving towards out of business.

Agreed! I’m 5’10 and if I want a pair of leggings, pants, or a dress in tall I have to order it online! Yes it’s a pain sometimes (or at least it was before moving to a state with no in-store shopping available), but if you want the Athletic brand you gotta do what you gotta do. Bonus points for shopping online though - you can use Rakuten for cash back!! 😁

AnnaH043

Please consider keeping the plus sizes through 3x in store a little longer, and consider the impact of advertising the in-store plus sizes a bit more robustly. I would wager that a lot of plus size shoppers don't realize you have 3x in store, and sales of that size in store my increase with more publicity. There are so few stores that carry plus sizes, plus size people don't spend as much time in malls because we just assume we can't buy any clothes there. I will go out of my way tho to stop into a store if I know they are carrying plus.  

Sunshine61
We as women need to be a little more sympathetic to one another’s desires. Maybe even a few tall pieces in the store would be nice. Beautiful women come in all shapes and sizes.

HollyG1
I can totally sympathize. It would be nice for Athleta to also carry Talls in store too. I have questioned this numerous times and was told they didn’t have enough room for it. This was before Girls and Plus sizes showed up in stores. Tall women sizing is ignored everywhere. Need to add this tidbit: Tall sizing DOESN’T mean adding a few inches to the arm and leg length. We are longer everywhere and broader in the shoulders, which has NEVER been a consideration. And I guess equity is out of the question too…..