Professional vs Personal Life...Where is the Balance?

cbadarac

I struggle to find a healthy balance between my various professional commitments and work life and my own personal time and commitments to relationships with others. I know that I need to better prioritize the latter, but I find that I tend to say "yes" to taking on too many professional commitments to advance my career as well as make a positive impact on the world. 

2 REPLIES 2

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @cbadarac it really is hard to balance work and personal life. My career has been such a big goal in my life, that I am eager to do whatever it takes to get there. But I have realized that a lot of the most successful people make sure that they have time for themselves too!

Learning to associate the word no as establishing a boundary rather than as a step backward is a good start! You may actually do better professionally when you put more commitment into yourself and relationship with others. Balance is so hard but with intentional time and effort, we can all get there!

kathleenruns

I struggle with this as well - and I've been working from home the last year and a half and working from home has made that harder -- I don't need to run off to catch a train, I can stay on "just a bit longer" and suddenly its 8pm.  I've found as someone who always says yes to work request is hard to break - I've set expectations that oh yeah, she'll do it.  I've tried to do it in small steps - for example, setting reasonable expectations on timing when possible.