Mindfulness in Relationships

Frame_Gina
Featured Guest
Featured Guest

"Mindfulness is about love and loving life. When you cultivate this love it gives you clarity and compassion for life, and your actions happen in accordance with that."  -Jon Kabat-Zinn

This week we had a wonderful conversation about Mindfulness Practices for Stress Relief, you can see the recording HERE. Today I'd like to expand on that conversation and talk about ways we can practice mindfulness in our relationships. Here are some ideas......

• Slow Down: Take time to embrace the sweet and mundane moments together as a couple. We are often so distracted and rushing through life, slowing down to savor each moment is a mindfulness practice that can benefit our nervous system as well as our relationships.
  • Stay Present: When communicating with your partner practice active listening where you take time to truly hear the words and message your partner is communicating. This can be done by summarizing what the other person said to make sure  you heard them right. Oftentimes we are half listening and half preparing our answer, but active listening challenges us to stay present before jumping to responding. 
  • Create a Daily Ritual: Creating rituals as a couple is a way to maintain connection and intimacy. It communicates to one another, "I value our time together". Rituals can be as simple as sharing a hug and kiss each time you greet one another, it can be sharing a coffee together each morning or an evening walk. Talk about it with your partner and find an activity that promotes connection, joy and love. Get creative and find what works for you! 

These practices can be done in any relationship; significant other, child, friend, family member. I'd love to hear if any of these practices resonate with you or how you incorporate mindfulness into your relationships. Feel free to share below! 

0 REPLIES 0