How are you handling re-entering the "normal" world?

Margie
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is anyone else having a tough time transitioning back to "normal" life after the past year? I love seeing the world opening back up…but with that comes all the comparisons that used to cause me so much anxiety.

Of course I missed seeing friends, eating out, and my routine, but I settled into my insular state pretty quickly. Spending most of the year with my partner, parents and brother, I noticed a relief of that I had nothing to prove or improve, and it felt good. I thrived in my frozen comfort zone – no social pressures, no travels or adventures to aspire to on Instagram, no workout classes to take to stay on track. No ladders to climb.

As we’re transitioning back to “normal”, I feel my anxiety creeping back. The reminder that I’m 36 and I should be doing XYZ (fill in the blank____: married, second kid on the way, ready to buy a house, wellness goals created and tracking…).

I am grateful we’re emerging from the pain and fear of the last year, but with things opening up again, so is this pressure to make “progress”, to perform, to achieve, to…do. At least for me. Is anyone else feeling similar?

I'm curious to know how you are getting back into the "real world" again. Do you have any tips or tricks on how you are handling all of It?

11 REPLIES 11

Marisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Margie thank you so much for sharing this. I am also so grateful for more opportunities to re-engage in social gatherings, which are so essential to our emotional health and wellbeing. However, I feel the energetic demand so much more acutely now. For example, I had a lovely afternoon yesterday with my family at a baseball game...and today I am completely drained. After a year spent teaching yoga and meditation on Zoom from my living room, yesterday's outing took a lot out of me—the lights, the crowds, the loud noises, the processed food, and I'm feeling it today! Grateful for the memory for sure. I will continue to seek out the balance in all things. A year of Zoom yoga is probably too much on one end of the spectrum, while a 4 hour sporting event is also something I can't commit to too often. Thank you so much for holding space for those of us who are happy for the social opportunities while already grappling with the stress and anxiety that comes along with it (speaking for myself). Let's take care of each other as we navigate this transition.

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

I feel this @Marisa so much, small outtings that normally wouldn't drain me are taking a whole week's worth of my energy! While I want to push myself and do things, I have to remember to put me first. Managing my energy is important, and going at a pace my body is ready for is vital. 

I'm glad you are finding balance as we try and find a new normal. Balance and boundaries are key terms for this new chapter and I'm so happy to have this Community to lean on for help. Sending good vibes all around ❤️

Marisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm an energetic "pusher" too! Maybe one lesson I can take forward with me from the shutdown is just like you said—to put my energy first and go at a pace my body is ready for

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes @Marisa ! I always want to dive head first but that is starting to backfire. Maybe dipping a toe or two in the water at a time is more helpful than we think...

@Marisa This is VERY relatable for me. Right there with ya.

MollJ84

Energy management is so tough for me too! And it certainly is a slippery slope of playing the comparison game as people start to get back to (and post about) their fantastic adventures. I find when I'm busy with my own life, I pay less attention to others. So maybe take a screen break or a social break, and keep doing you. There's no way to get your own path wrong ❤️ 

Marisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

I love when you mention "when I'm busy with my own life, I pay less attention to others" I can relate! I notice I'm on social media a lot less when I'm engaged with my own events and concerns too🌟

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you so much for sharing this @Margie and I can tell you that you are preaching to the choir. What has helped me get back into things is bringing my comfort with me. Going out with the same people I see on a regular basis has helped a lot. Because they make me feel like myself, I don't get so anxious when doing activities because they are by my side supporting me.

I definitely feel the pressure to have achieved great things in this past year and a half. But I have to remind myself that we have never lived through a pandemic. There are no expectations and however I chose to cope is normal. Before the pandemic, I was in the best shape of my life and everyone in my life knew that. Now, I am far from that. I am very anxious going out because I am not comfortable in my body. I don't want to be seen as a failure. But I know that I am not. I don't want to avoid doing the things I want to do because I am comparing myself to...well myself. Its not fair and not helpful to live in the past. I continue to do things at my own pace, but also push myself a little. Its hard going back to the real world, but the new normal is really just "do you boo". Stopping myself from overthinking things and just having fun is really powerful. We're all in this together!

danielle
Community Manager
Community Manager

I couldn't relate more, Margie. I find myself tired just thinking of all of the social commitments that I have this summer and fall. It feels like we are playing catch up for the past year, but, like you, I (very) easily assimilated into the "covid lifestyle", so I've been trying to keep my weekday evenings precious and spend the week recovering from the social weekends.

Sarah_E
Guide
Guide

I  relate to this so hard. I'm a huge introvert and since I stopped drinking, I didn't realize how much social anxiety I have! First, I just want you to know that you are right on time for your life. No one else's. So trust that. Next, you prob know what I'm going to say 😉 Come to the mat. Find your peace with yourself there so you can hang onto it off the mat, as well. Sending love and as hard as it is, see if you can learn to trust that your unfolding in exactly the right time.

Leada_M
Guide
Guide

Omg! @Margie you are definitely not alone. I'm not so much getting anxiety from it since that's never really been me - but I am tired! Social exhaustion is real! It takes time and energy to see people lately especially because I know we're all so excited and it's been so long. But emotional and sensory stress is still stress on the body and that nervous system will chalk it up to "fight or flight" if it's too high - just like overtraining in exercises. I think it's super important to remember to step back and recharge and not overcommit. Tbh, I might be saying this for myself. I'm definitely having to plan ahead and remember I'm not made of endless energy as much as I'd like to be. Life is still going on, work demands are still there (if not more than before)... we definitely  went from 0 to 100 at least in San Francisco and California as a whole. Remember to take it sloooow.. the right people won't mind 🙂