Anxious sleeper 😴

Pblue9

I fall asleep just fine, but wake up at around 3 or 4 every night with anxiety about work or something else going on and then can’t fall back asleep. Anyone else? And any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5

Ldessen7

Have you tried meditation? There are some really great apps that can ease your mind and get you back to sleep.

Love2run

rather than laying there in the dark and letting the thoughts sit, I’ll actually start reading which makes me super sleepy again. I do, though, use a kindle which is really nice because you don’t have to turn the lights on. Before I know it I’ve tired myself out again. 

Sarah_E

Me too! It’s very common around that time of night. First, make sure you’re going to bed early enough and as wild as this sounds, try getting up at like 5/530a. Your body naturally wants to get up with the sun and birds. Waking earlier will mean a heavier sleep beforehand, too. And YES to guided meditations to getting back to sleep. Yoga nidra/full body relaxation are the best

asparling1986
Community Manager
Community Manager

this sounds crazy but I actually find that counting backwards from 100 helps. I never make it past 50!

Lizzard

Yes, I was taught by a behaviorist to do a certain meditation. You lay in your bed and work on slowing your breath down and counting your breath. Then you start at your feet. You take a long slow breath in, squeeze your feet tight and hold with your breathe, then let your feet relax and let your breath out. Next you do your calf muscles, again taking in a long slow breathe squeezing your calf muscles as tight as you can and hold with your breath, then release your calf and breath. You slowly work your way up your body using each muscle group. The thing about anxiety is your body is creating the hormones like you actually have real "fear" so you need to use the muscles in your body to "use up" the hormones that woke you up. The breath work helps with your mind so you are focused on your body and not whatever anxiety problem is going on. 
Now this is a fix but the anxiety needs to be dealt with and this is presuming that you are going to bed at an appropriate time. That you are not having caffeine before bed. The anxiety or reason you wake up, the thing you worry about, needs to be journaled about or problem solved or your sleep may continue to suffer.