Margeaux_H
Guide
Guide

We are the co-creators of lives, so therefore it’s no secret the that words that we speak to ourselves are just as important as the food that we feed ourselves. Choosing positive thoughts and incorporating positive affirmations or mantras as part of your daily routine can shift your entire mindset. Just as you would reach for your morning cup of coffee, brush your teeth or find movement every day, creating affirmations for yourself and spending a few minutes several times a day to practice them is an amazing way to nourish yourself and change the narrative.

So, what are Affirmations or Mantras? The simple answer is they are small mantras or specific and positive statements declaring a completed goal. They can help you to challenge and overcome self-sabotaging and negative thoughts. When you repeat them often, and believe in them, you can start to make positive changes. They are a way of tricking the mind into believing the best version of yourself.

You can use affirmations or mantras in any situation that you would like to see a positive change take place in your life. This might include times when you want to:

Shut down negative conversations you are having with yourself

Feel nervous about an upcoming meeting or presentation

Let go of a bad habit

Set boundaries for yourself

Show up for yourself more

Setting personal goals

There are a few things to remember when writing your affirmations, but first think about the area of your life you are struggling with and would like to change.

How do I write affirmations:

1. Use “I” or “My” at the start of your affirmation. Beginning your affirmation with the words ‘I am’ makes it powerful. It uses language that gives your subconscious mind a command. Your mind then interprets it as a directive that it must follow through on.

2. Write your affirmations from the present tense. “I am showing up for myself” or “I am attracting money toward me”. Even if you are working toward something in the future. Speaking from the present tense helps your mind to visualize the outcome. For example, you could say “I have my dream job” instead of “One of these days I am going to quit this job and get my dream job”.

3. Use a positive tone of voice. No negative vibes here Instead of saying “Don’t let people take advantage of you”, try “I value and protect myself, my time and my space”.

4. Keep them short: There’s no need to write a novel or even a long sentence. Affirmations can be as simple as 2 or 3 words that you can remember like “I am enough” or “I live a healthy lifestyle”.

5. Make them reflect your priorities and be specific: Write affirmations that pertain to what you really want to achieve. If you want to make more money maybe the affirmation is “I am enjoying my $200,000 salary this year.

6. Make them about you: Let your affirmations be about your actions only and not the actions of others.

7. Choose words that resonate with you: The goal is to light up your intention so that you feel inspired every day. Make sure the affirmation means something to you on several levels.

Most importantly, write as though you're grateful for already having and being what you want.

Comment below if mantras and affirmations are something you can incorporate in your daily routine. Be sure to share your mantra with others, you never know who you may inspire!