Do You "Unfollow" People On Social Media That Make You Feel Bad About Yourself?

Margeaux_H
Guide
Guide

Last week I had dinner with a friend of mine and she brought up something that spoke to me. She said "I have not been engaging on social media for the past month because I am seeing too much stuff that is making me feel bad about my body."  Too many people posting about "Summer Bodies" and all kinds of things around shrinking my size. This is not the first time I have spoken to a friend who has felt this way.  My gut response was,

"Then why are you still following them?"

I am a firm believer that what you feed yourself effects your state of wellbeing and that comes from all aspects of your life.  What you eat, what you watch on tv, what you read, who you follow on social media.  All of this plays a roll in your overall well being.  If you are following someone who makes you feel bad about yourself in any way stop. Click unfollow and keep it moving.  Make space for the positive vibes and the people that can help to bring joy, self love and light to your world.

I am curious, do you follow people on social who make you feel bad about yourself?  If so why? When was the last time you did a social media cleanse?  What prompted you to do it?  How did it make you feel? 

Please share your thoughts with me on this...xx M

A7406557.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

Nataliect
I recently gained some weight because of medication I take and when people started posting their bikini shots I felt terrible. So I went through my IG account and unfollowed about 10 people. I found a couple positive people (people I didn’t know) and I’m working on not getting down on myself!

@Nataliect Thanks for sharing! I love that you did a sm cleanse! I also love that you are working on not getting down on yourself.  I think we all have to remember that our bodies ebb and flow throughout the course of our lives for many different reasons.  As long as we are doing our best to show our bodies love and affection we are heading in the right direction and remember every body is a "Summer Body"  if it is summer and you have a body well then...

I find it very sad that we are made to feel like our bodies are the most important thing about us. Sure they are part of us and we care for our bodies; feed them, hydrate, rest and whatever else but we are who we are inside. I don’t focus too much on looks because I’m sick and tired of women being delegated to aesthetics. Good for you unfollowing people. But truly why do people feel the need to post their bodies like this?

asparling1986
Community Manager
Community Manager

I just started doing this and it's made a world of a difference. Now the content that comes through is focused on actual friends and family. 

maryjblake
I unfollow anyone who triggers the diet culture button. I follow mostly fat positive, anti diet people on social media. I often take breaks from social media deleting it from my phone. Sometimes any of it is just unhealthy and sucks my time.

I hear that!  As someone who uses socail media to promote my message and brand it is hard for me to take breaks, but I do pull back when I need to and only allow myslef a small amount of time each day to be on it, and that helps.

maryjblake
Oh totally if you are an influencer and part of your work depends on it you can’t always take breaks. Are you on IG? What are your handles on other platforms?

my IG is @thiscurvyworld

maryjblake
BTW I took your advice in another post about trying on the top size (that usually doesn’t fit) in some clothing I wanted and to my surprise it fit and I love it and am keeping the item.

So glad to hear that!  I can be so many different sizes.  I tend to look at something and judge whether or not I think it will fit.

NillaMarie

I actually stopped following big names/people I don't know. My social media is filled with only supportive family and friends. So there's no room to follow those who make me feel bad!

Sometimes it's not just big names and people but anyone in the fitness industry.  Many people promote diet culture and working out to "get into that dress or swimsuit".  Glad to hear you have found what works for you.

DebMarPir

I don't really have friends who post "body shots." But I do follow certain threads where the theme is gratitude, or calm, for instance.  A lot of what I have is faith-based, and my friends, as well. Those who aren't well, yes, unfortunately I finally had to unfriend a couple of people because they were negative against my belief system and I didn't want to fight and don't need the stress. Ultimately, I try to be friends with everyone but it doesn't always work.