eating healthy Monday-Friday until the weekend

GoodbyeVal

I eat healthy Mon-Fri, and then I feel like I lose control over my plate Saturday and Sunday. Brunch with friends, movie night snacks, date nights, there's too much temptation. Do you guys eat healthy even on weekends? Or does eating good during the week balance out the weekend? 

4 REPLIES 4

Miriamrebraun

Hi! I have the same challenge. I feel some of it balances out but late eating, especially, affects me the next day. Wish I could maintain a better routine on weekends as well!

asparling1986
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Heather_C - I feel like you would have some great thoughts here! 

Margeaux_H
Guide
Guide

I try not to subscribe to terms around food like "good" or "bad" eating.  I think it just boils down to choices.  The weekends can definitely be a struggle to make the choices that make you feel the best but just because you choose to have pizza and wine for dinner on Saturday doesn't mean you have to wake up on Sunday and repeat.  I think overall it is about balance.  If you are eating mindfully most of the time then so what if you are a little lax on the weekend...just be careful not to let it roll into the week.

Heather_C
Guide
Guide

@GoodbyeVal I think a lot of folx feel this way! It's very common to mentally (and physically) need a break from eating according to "healthy" rules and guidelines. Mentally, we just can't always be beholden to rigidity with food. 🙂 So, I hope to normalize that experience! Although, maybe it's not that you feel like you "have" to eat healthy during the week -- it's just how it happens because you have more structure during the week, while you have more flexibility on the weekends. Do either of those resonate with you?

In any case, one thing I often say to clients is this: We're humans, not robots! We are meant to have pleasure and variety with food—not meant to eat the same every day—and we don't have the same needs every day. 🙂 Maybe during the week you don't mind the "healthy eating", and on the weekends you enjoy having the time and flexibility to enjoy the brunches with friends, late night snacks, etc.  It's also possible that due to some structure and routine during the week, you're not eating quite enough, so your body makes up for it on the weekends (another common thing I see with clients). In any case, I hope it's helpful to have a few of these things to think through! 

And as @Margeaux_H mentioned, it might be helpful to reframe the "good" vs "bad" mentality around how you're eating. This is really hard to do! Those messages are deeply ingrained for many people. We'll talk a little more about that next month with some nutrition and intuitive eating content! 🙂  (You're always welcome to ask these questions in the monthly Q&As, too!)