AthletaWellTeam
Community Manager

Our Hold the Space series amplifies the voices of BIPOC women and girls in our community. This month, we’re exploring “Community through Movement” with three women who are part of BlackWomensYogaCollective. Most yoga studios within the U.S. are predominantly white spaces, and BWYC’s focus is on increasing wellness accessibility for Black women, people of color, and underserved communities. During our interview with these women, we learn about their inspiration and their love for yoga.

Meet Mel Douglas, the Founder of BWYC. 

“I've spent a lot of time existing in predominantly white spaces - my family was the first Black family to move onto our street when I was a kid. Because of these experiences, as a Black person I am able to go into a studio and get the yoga that I need, and leave what I don't need. But a lot of people can't do that. And that makes sense. I can't always do it either. I feel like for me, it's been a practice of gathering the tools and then putting them in a place that's accessible. What ultimately helps people connect with me, and with Black Women’s Yoga Collective, is that I actually really love yoga so much. It's impossible for me not to feel a lot of enthusiasm and excitement when I share it with people. The connections that I've been able to make through the Collective have been really deep, heart connections. It’s knowing that you have people who are rooting for you. And that energy's always flowing between you.”

Meet Jazz Jones

Jazz: “The best thing about BWYC is everybody shares so much of themselves with each other. I actually had no idea there were so many Black women doing yoga. It’s huge for me to be in a space where I feel seen. And to be able to speak that life into women and get it right back to you is everything because my voice is important, theirs is important.”

Meet Drew Muse

Drew: “I was five years into my practice before I ever had a Black yoga instructor. For me, that shifted a lot. I started teaching yoga to my community and the people that I knew. It's been amazing to connect with so many people that look like me, so we can connect and share things that have helped us through our journey. Having a collective of people that understand the importance of representation has been very fulfilling.”

To learn more about the Black Women's Yoga Collective, visit their website here.