What is ONE reason you exercise that has NOTHING to do with the way you look?

Leada_M
Guide
Guide

Hey AthletaWell Family!

As a physical therapist and having worked with athletes, I see active people recovering from injury and thrown off their usual workout routine due to pain, soreness, etc. SOMETIMES along the way, body image comes into play. I always like to remind people that there are still incredible health benefits of exercise that they may not be able to see, even though what they see may motivate them at times.

I totally get it, I have my up's and down's with where my muscles are at etc. It's been especially hard the last year with minimal gym access (I was stuck at home with resistance bands for close to a year!). BUT I ALWAYS remembered my true "why" of moving" - it makes me feel in control of the amazing potential my body holds, my mood improves, I feel more confident, and most of all, and I know I'm ahead of my health by even doing it at all.  I think drawing attention to this is so important and so grounding because fitness should be a lifestyle. We have a long way to go and have to make this sustainable.

What is 1 single reason you exercise that has nothing to do with your image?

18 REPLIES 18