Reframing our workouts to be celebrations vs exercise

Sarah_E
Guide
Guide

For a long time, I viewed workouts as a way to counter what I had eaten. I had to go to spin class, I had to do do a sweaty flow. And if I didn’t do a “full” workout (like 60min+) I felt as though I had failed.

After some pretty intense injuries, plus giving birth, I’ve reframed workout to not be something I have to do to burn calories, but something I get to do to celebrate my body! If I can get to do anything for 15 minutes these days, that is a win!!!

How do you view your workouts? What if you switched your mindset from “have to” to “get to” and reminded yourself that any time we get to move our bodies, no matter for how long, it’s a win?🤍

4 REPLIES 4

Dani_P
Guide
Guide

yes yes yes to this!!! i've experienced a similar relationship to exercise for so much of my life and have been trying to implement small acts of gratitude towards myself and my body every time I move. sometimes that looks like saying "thank you, i love you" to my body in the mirror after squeezing a 10min yoga flow into my afternoon or giving my body a hug after a quick walk with my dog between meetings. any movement and opportunity to be in this body is worth celebrating -- i'm continuing to learn that for myself 🙂

Love that!!! Those mirror affirmations are where it’s at!

Marisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

so glad you mentioned the celebration aspect Sarah! I'm really good at repeating exercises and sticking to a regimen just for the sake of being in a routine. when I go down this rabbit hole I forget that exercise is supposed to be a celebration of the body's movements. I try to switch up my routine and remember to take days off to remind myself of this.

Yessss! Me too re getting regimented. Then the joy gets removed though