Your At-Home Workout Routine

danielle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's the truth: I don't plan on ever setting foot in a gym again (ok...well maybe the occasional Corepower Yoga or Karma Yoga). BUT I am curious 1) how do you stay motivated when working out at home? I'll be honest sometimes I conveniently "skip" the planks because I have no one next to me motivating me. 2) what are your favorite at-home workouts? I've been doing a mix of Obe and Melissa Wood Health, but I feel like I need to switch things up. 

10 REPLIES 10

Margie

Since I've been WFH, I've been leaving my yoga mat out and in between meetings, sometimes I just do a few cat cows to catch my breath, and I don't hold those planks as long as I might in class IRL, but I do feel like every little bit helps my mood. Will definitely be checking out @Sarah_E 's 20-min yoga class for some inspiration!

danielle
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm excited to take her class for the first time! 

Leaving the yoga mat OUT is a great idea!  Even if you fit in a few movements on it during the day, it helps!  Everything adds up!  😉

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Something that I've been realizing is I have to make smaller consistent changes before I commit to a routine. I've been taking daily 3 mile walks with my family in the mornings! We get a chance to catch up while getting a little more movement into my day. Since I started those, it makes me want to workout more and I have more energy throughout the day. Hope this helps!

molly

I was one of the many who succumbed to the Peloton during quarantine...so that helps. I feel like I tried everything I could find in the past year (ask @Steph about Jabs by Gina!), but in the end running outside will always be my old faithful. It's not always easy to motivate myself to step out the door (or to run more than a block) but once you get into the habit of it, it's empowering to feel like you really can workout anywhere at any time. I'd love to connect with any fellow runners (of all stripes or skill levels). If you can run AT ALL, you're a runner. Don't let anyone (or yourself) tell you otherwise! 

jenniescharm

I love The Barre Code & admired how they quickly switched from in-studio to Livestream classes in addition to their existing on-demand classes. Having so many options means I'm certain to find a class that fits my schedule. They also offer multiple formats to fit my level of energy on any given day. Knowing I can ramp it up or dial it down means I have no excuses not to at least try. Usually, once I get moving, I keep moving. Even better, each class I take is one class closer to my next level of Club Code. 

Leada_M
Guide
Guide

Oh man, what a topic for the last two years! I invested in lots of space-saving equipment for home for one. Sometimes it feels like I have a small PT clinic in my house haha! The TRX is one of my favorite pieces of equipment, I also really love kettle bells in the resistance bands. You can do sooo much with those at home. I think learning a variety of 5-8 exercises for any piece of equipment and for relatively general body regions (lower body, core, upper, etc) can help have something planned on deck to do! Also giving yourself two options to do in a day can be helpful, but honoring that you have to do at least one of them. Discipline is big when you don’t have the accountability of a physical space to go to or trainer to see! But it definitely is hard - you’re not alone @danielle!

sonalg

Such a good topic!! I struggle a lot with staying motivated when I'm working out at home / on my own, but I have joined the Strava community over the last year and I really love the accountability that it gives me. The ability to track my workouts and see my progress helps me stay motivated to continue the momentum of my routine rather. I also love being able to find new running routes through the app to mix it up! If you don't like the social nature of Strava (i.e. everyone can see your workouts), I do recommend using the Garmin app or Apple health to keep track 🙂 

stephkarto

One thing that kept me motivated during shelter-in-place was making facetime dates with friends where we all hopped on our computers and did the same workout. So whether a friend and I did the same youtube yoga class or hopped on something that we both subscribe to like Les Mills On Demand and chose a Body Combat or Sh'Bam or Body Pump workout to do together, we'd start the program at the same time, have our phones propped up with facetime on, and we'd workout and then catch up after the fact.

Though shelter-in-place was a really hard time, that became one of the sweetest memories and something that I wish so much we could continue!!

mb1989

Part of me is excited to be able to go to an in person class again - but probably won't be for a little while longer! I love the sculpt society - there is such a good range of workouts (especially short ones that I can fit in between meetings!).  I also love MWH - her calm presence keeps me motivated on even my most tired days!