Running Shoes Recommendations

lauren

Hi AthletaWell members! I'm thinking of running a half marathon in mid-September and I'm looking for running shoe recommendations. I currently have Hokas which I do like but I don't enjoy the color options they offer (I'm picky and enjoy dark, solid colors), but I'm curious what shoes you all run in? 

10 REPLIES 10

ZenJen

Congrats on your decision!! Mizuno is the only shoe that feels like “home” for my feet, but I highly recommend heading to a specialty running store to try on a ton of different shoes. Everyone’s feet are so different!

asparling1986
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Chris_F - wonder if you have thoughts here given your expertise in strength training? 

mmyogabeach2

Was just talking about this last night! Great point @ZenJen! I'm a tried and true asics loyalist but I hear wonderful things about hoka shoes. A specialty running store is a good idea so that you can find your perfect fit!

ericakuhl

I run in New Balance and have always loved them.  I'm not a long distance runner anymore but I did run a marathon in New Balance.  I run in these now.

leilani

I’ve always loved brooks running shoes. Super supportive and pain free. 

katelynfox

I’ve always run in Brooks for the support! But, I went to my local running store and got fitted for shoes that fit my running style and gait!

molly

I am with you on the aesthetics. I've run all my marathons and half marathons in Adidas Ultra Boost. I absolutely love them and am on my 5th pair. The black ones actually *do not * have any hidden pink features (which is so rare in women's shoes):

https://www.adidas.com/us/ultraboost-4.0-dna-shoes/FY9123.html

Chris_F
Guide
Guide

Well - I love my Hokas - I wear Nike for workouts but when it comes to running and walking - Hokas all the way - I have the clifton 8 in solid black - I also do NOT love the crazy colors!! 

Sophia

Congrats on thinking of doing a half! I've done two, one with Brooks and one with Hokas. I personally preferred the Brooks and while I do recommend those (and to avoid Nike for sure), what I would recommend even more is going to a running store to get fitted for a shoe that is specified for you. Everyone has different feet, soles, gaits, etc. and having a shoe fitter find a shoe that fits your specifications will provide you a lot of relief in the long run. I also get really picky about colors and the look of the shoe but I had to remind myself that my comfort and the health of my feat is way more important than the aesthetics. Sometimes in running, the "uglier" the shoe, the better! Good luck!

Victoria7

I tried ON running shoes a year ago and have never gone back to any other brand! I have two different styles depending on the length of run I’m taking. happy running 🏃‍♀️