Subtle bias and prejudices in the workplace

ChiChioma

Stress in the workplace is a major factor in mental health issues. It’s a double whammy when you are a woman of color dealing with stress at work, those subtle biases, stereotypes, prejudices and everything else that comes with it. It is especially challenging not being able to admit that your mental health is deteriorating because you do not want to be seen as fragile and vulnerable as a woman let alone a woman of color. Mental is not easily discussed in our community if you get my drift but I implore all my sistas to speak out, speak up against those biases, stereotypes, stressors e.t.c that can lead to mental health issues and know that you are not alone. 

Curious as to what my sistas (black, White, Yellow, Green) e.t.c thinks…

1 REPLY 1

Vanessa
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is such an important topic @ChiChioma, I am so glad you are bringing this conversation forward. In my experience, mental health is common in my community, but looked down upon. I've started surrounding myself with friends and colleagues who are supportive and understand the things I go through. I've also been more vocal about my mental and health and implementing healthy coping mechanisms like taking breaks, speaking up, working out, talking to doctors, taking care of myself etc. My advice to others are to speak up and seek help/safety