Maintaining mental health after injury

Niki

I broke my foot in early January and I’m struggling to maintain my mental health because the usual things I do to stay positive- getting outside, exercise, spending time with people- are not possible. I have at least six more weeks of recovery and it’s killing me. Advice?

3 REPLIES 3

Swellness

Hey Niki, sorry to hear that. I'm in a similar situation. I broke my leg last spring and its been a very slow recovery. Staying positive can definitely be a challenge. I found getting outside and walking  - even if its slow, difficult and you need crutches - to be amazing for my mental health. Something about being outside and moving can be really helpful. Good luck, speedy recovery!

Becca13

Hi Niki. I understand what you’re saying. I’m 5 months past ankle surgery. I was a hot mess -the star of helplessness. Searching the internet,  I stumbled on stories by people who had the same surgery as mine. They shared ways they were staying physically and mentally strong- it was inspiring and helpful. Try Pinterest and YouTube. I practiced gratitude and made plans for each of my next milestones. I chose a PT facility at an upbeat, goal oriented, friendly place staffed by athletes. The time flew by and I looked forward to my sessions.  You will find familiar joyful times (crutches are a great idea). But, you may also find new interests. You’re handling the most difficult part now. Good luck to you. 

Leada_M
Guide
Guide

@Niki I am so sorry you are having a tough time. Hi btw, Dr. Leada (Physical Therapy Guide!) The first thing I will say is these feelings are SO common and valid. Being sidelined and having your favorite things less accessible can really take a toll. That being said, I am ALL FOR finding ways to make them still be a part of your life. There's no reason why you can't still get outside and see humans with a broken foot! I promise it's possible (covid precautions, if needed of course). Are you seeing a good physical therapist yet? I can think of LOTS ways you can still get a workout in (besides running or the like) despite the foot injury! Are you currently in a boot? Let me know your status and your exercise(s) of choice you want to do - and I can think of some safe and easy ways to make your workout still possible! 

The other thing I will say is try your best to note the small wins along the recovery. The mental health of injury recovery is equally, if not, more important than physical alone. Fill your less-exciting "idle" time with activities and hobbies you like or some that have been interesting. The general timeline for bones to heal is 8 weeks, but you can start strengthening before that and to be honest, a broken foot is sometimes better than a rough sprain. Let me know if you'd like more insight on your individual case. It's literally why I'm here! 💓