Brain Health

SamMax

We exercise to take care of our physical health.  We look at what we eat to take care of our nutritional health.  We get mammograms, papsmears, physicals and other visits to our doctors for aches and pains to take care of our physical health.  We socialize to take care of our social health.  I think we overlook our brain health and don't give it the daily time it needs, just like we do for exercise, nutrition, social lives.  I am really trying daily to do things for my brain health - read uplifting books, write quotes and positive thoughts on index cards that I carry with me all day to reflect back on those words to keep my mind in a good place - I have started to draw on the cards too with markers, pens so I look forward to the upcoming art therapy class.  If we are going to spend 30 minutes a day on our exercise why not 10 minutes of quiet time for our brain health. 

3 REPLIES 3

Frame_Rachel
Featured Guest
Featured Guest

This is such a good point and I love how you used the phrase "brain health." I think that really de-stigmatizes our thoughts on what mental health is. It's actually taking care of your brain! During my talk on menopause, I'll mention how the brain and body communicate. It is true that when we put positivity into our minds, we tend to feel better overall. Thanks for sharing.

Dani_P
Community Manager
Community Manager

I love this @SamMax! I've been writing down an affirmation for myself at the beginning of each week and sticking it by computer where I glance at it often. Even that small action makes such a difference in my mood throughout the day. Your post is inspiring me to get back into my night time reading routine as well, thank you for sharing!

Valerie_C
Guide
Guide
Such a great idea to have the positive cards with you throughout the day! I recently interviewed my friend, Dr. Smita whose whole mission is to provide education about brain health. Hope you get a chance to watch it and let me know what you think. Thanks!