The Optimism in Activism: How to Stay Empowered When Current Events Have You Down

Published on ‎06-22-2022 06:47 PM by | Updated on ‎07-21-2022 06:29 PM

Couldn't make it? Watch the recording here!

Now, more than ever, is the time to come together to stay empowered and support each other through social challenges. Join us for an AthletaWell member-exclusive fireside chat on how to navigate social challenges while keeping our cup full and our heads held high.  

On Thursday, our speaker, Beth Silvers, co-host of Pantsuit Politics podcast and co-author of Now What?: How to Move Forward When We’re Divided (About Basically Everything) sits down with Emily Esfahani Smith, author of The Power of Meaning: Crafting a Life that MattersIn this talk, Beth and Emily will help us discover how to create a kinder society by improving public dialogue, even when it seems our differences do most of the talking.

P.S. 🤫 We'll be selecting 5 attendees to receive a FREE copy of Beth Silver’s book, Now What?: How to Move Forward When We're Divided (About Basically Everything). Comment below with your questions for Beth and join us live to enter the giveaway!*

Event Details:  

Thursday 7/21 at 4:30 PM PST

This event will be recorded for those who can’t attend live. Have questions for Beth? Drop them in the comments below.

*Five winners will be announced at the time of the The Optimism in Activism: How to Stay Empowered When Current Events Have You Down virtual event Thursday July 21st, 2022. To be entered to win, you must be a non-Gap Inc. employee, member of AthletaWell who comments a question in the comment section on this post and attend the virtual event on July 21st. The winners will be selected at random during the event and will be notified via private message on AthletaWell by an AthletaWell Team Member.

Will you be attending?

Event has ended
You can no longer attend this event.

Start:
Thu, Jul 21, 2022 04:30 PM PDT
End:
Thu, Jul 21, 2022 05:00 PM PDT
Labels (2)
22 Comments
sew414

Assuming you mean 12:00 PM, PDT, not 12:00AM as shown?

Vanessa
Community Manager

Hi @sew414, event details including time will be confirmed soon! Once we have a time solidified we'll be sure to update tho who have RSVP'd

DebbieJ

Yes, please confirm time.  I am EST out here in NJ.   Thanks.

Vanessa
Community Manager

Event details will be confirmed soon! We'll be sure to let interested attendees know @DebbieJ 

Zoey1

I work during the week so I’m hoping this can be viewed after the event?  Cat

Vanessa
Community Manager

The event will be recorded and posted to watch later! 🙂 @Zoey1 

TinaS

Is there a polite way to end a conversation with someone who is combative?

JessNguyen

Question for the speakers: how do you deal with burnout (or the beginnings of burnout) from your work? 

Kelster

How do you get others with opposite points of view to listen to yours?

cburten

Looking forward to this valuable information and insite.

graceeu

How do you make real connections as an adult?  Friendships, networking, and more?

debdub

Looking forward to this timely chat

aribick

I have two daughters - one teen and one tween. They are both distraught and angry about everything going on right now (Covid, school and mass shootings, climate change, the overturn of Roe v. Wade, etc.) How do I help them cope, teach them to advocate and see the positive? Especially when I am feeling so overwhelmed and dismayed myself?

bari

How do I get myself back out there? I've always been someone who goes and does in support of my beliefs. Now it's a struggle to even text bank for a cause. I take the negative responses personally and it's so disheartening. 😞

ames319

How can I approach honest conversation with my family members, who have vastly different views, while still maintaining my boundaries and working on improving our relationship?

Mustangs_

When a family member sees many situations in a biased, negative light, what are some things I can do to model positivity?

pan

How do you balance staying true to your values with choosing not to support businesses / employers / family / friends who support things that go against your values?  It's not always easy to quit a job, shop at a different business, avoid certain topics, etc.

romanoska

I‘ve been living what I can only describe as a shell-shocked existence for the past few years. I’m at the point where any hope that the world will ever feel sensible and safe is gone. At this point, hope seems a disingenuous platitude.

When one feels so defeated, how does one even begin to step up, step forward, while remaining authentic and genuine to oneself?

In other words, can one really and truly and effectively advocate for change if one is no longer convinced that a positive outcome or forward progress is even possible?

Roseflowers

How to withhold yourself or reprogram your thoughts from labeling others?