Ask Me Anything: How to Practice Body Awareness with Meditation Guide, Allison Simon

Allison AthletaWell Banners (1).png
Published on ‎09-13-2021 09:35 AM by Guide | Updated on ‎09-13-2021 04:20 PM

I'd love to know how Grounding: 21 Days of Body Awareness is going for you. If you haven't joined the challenge (or have fallen off), that's ok too - this is a place for us to talk more about the benefits of scanning the body or taking a moment to get present before moving on to the next thing.

All questions, thoughts and comments are welcome here!

This will be a place to ask specific questions related to body scanning like:

• Which body parts should I focus on?
  • Should I start from the from my head or my feet?
  • How do I scan my body while also experiencing chronic pain?
  • Is it normal for my legs to get tingly?

When

Friday Sept 17

11:00am PST / 2:00pm ESt

Where

This is a written event in the comments below

We will use this hour to tackle it all. Be sure comment your questions down below by 9/17. Allison will be back to answer any and all of your questions!

Featured Guests
Guide
Guide

Event has ended
You can no longer attend this event.

Start:
Fri, Sep 17, 2021 11:00 AM PDT
End:
Fri, Sep 17, 2021 12:00 PM PDT
6 Comments
GoodbyeVal

What is body scanning?

That's a great question! If you check out the challenge post from the other day, you'll see I share an example of a body scan meditation and talk about the benefits. In short, a body scan meditation is where we take time to be aware of what's happening physically. As a foundation of meditation, this technique will teach you how to cut through the mental fog of life happening by bringing you closer to what's happening in the present moment. As we practice this more with longer meditations, it helps to build stronger self awareness. Once we are at a place of being able to see ourselves fully, we have a greater capacity to make positive life changes and live a happier, healthier, more peaceful life.

Hope this explains!

I could not figure out how to join the meeting.

For the office hour, you can post your question here and I will answer text based.

lauren

I'm very interested in learning more about this. What part of the body should I focus on, Allison??

The example I shared focuses on the entire body, head to toe, but you this practice can be done with ANY part of the body. You may decide to spend 5-minutes focuses on your feet, feeling the tops of your feet, the bottoms of your feet, your ankles, their connection to the earth. There is no one place you need to focus on. Traditionally though, a scan of your whole body can help to get present with all areas. We've been practicing for 1-minute, but if you wanted to, you could spend an hour noticing the various parts of your body and their sensations.  -- As a foundation of meditation, this technique will teach you how to cut through the mental fog of life happening by bringing you closer to what's happening in the present moment. As we practice this more with longer meditations, it helps to build stronger self awareness. Once we are at a place of being able to see ourselves fully, we have a greater capacity to make positive life changes and live a happier, healthier, more peaceful life.