Ask Me Anything (AMA): Balancing Your Hormones Naturally Through Eating and Exercise

20.png
Published on ‎10-12-2021 11:07 AM by Guide | Updated on ‎10-13-2021 09:37 AM

When you are going through peri-menopause or menopause, learning how to balance hormones naturally can be a great way to help you manage the uncomfortable side effects of this transition. It can start as early as the 30's for some women but most of us start to feel the effects in our 40s and 50s.  

Hormones are chemical messengers that help regulate multiple bodily functions but when out of whack, every day life can feel hard.  So let's talk about the easy, natural ways to set yourself up for better hormone balance during this crazy time.

Questions like these may be on your mind: 
What type of exercise is best for me and how much? 
Does strength training play a big role in my journey?
What types of foods will help my hormones stay steady? 

Why do I feel sluggish or low energy and how do I change that? 
What if I haven't exercised in years, will that really help if I start slow? 

Drop your Q's here in the comment section and I'll be back NEXT TUESDAY 10/19 10am PT to answer them!  #yeswecan !!

Featured Guests
Guide
Guide

Event has ended
You can no longer attend this event.

Start:
Tue, Oct 19, 2021 10:00 AM PDT
End:
Tue, Oct 19, 2021 11:00 AM PDT
0 Likes
7 Comments
KimSV

Are HIIT workouts better during menopause than steady state cardio? If so how long should a session be?

Will lifting heavy weights for strength work cause better muscle definition 

Strength training is also super important in our aging years. As a matter fact starting at around the age of 35 we start to lose around a half pound of muscle per year if we are not actively replacing it. So a lot of women start noticing that they are getting weaker, more sedentary , and therefore gaining more body fat. Strength training is that secret sauce to aging gracefully. In regards to how heavy your  weights should be… You have to work up to heavier weights so that your joints can acclimate. But heavy is good. You have to break down the muscle to build it up.  so don’t be afraid of bulking up as a female… But definitely do work your way up to have your weights. I tend to use 12 and 15 pound weights during my workouts.  

Chris_F
Guide

Hi there - anyone who may be joining - I will be here for the next hour checking to see if you have any questions about menopause and exercise!!!  I'm here to help so type your ?s !!! 

KBS

Hello, I have RSVPed but I haven't been able to locate the zoom link. Thank you for sending if you can. 

Hi there. Well this is an hour where I’m just typing out answers to your questions. So if you have a question type it right here in the comments and I will answer you. I will be honest I prefer the face-to-face events also so in the future I will probably do that instead of this 🙂

Chris_F
Guide

OK so during menopause… And basically when we are aging it is important to keep up with our exercise. Any kind of cardio works. There is no right kind. It is all about getting a heart rate up and burning calories. The reason I love hiit is because it is affective in a shorter period of time. Most of us in our 30s 40s and beyond have busy lives and can’t spend as much time exercising. So hiit is a way to get the heart rate up quickly and burn more calories in a shorter period of time. Of course you need to be in good shape before you start doing these intense intervals so it’s some thing you should work up to. But bottom line cardio is very important as we age. In terms of your heart. It is the best thing you can do to take care of it. And in terms of calorie burn which we all need as we get older and our lives tend to be a little more sedentary- cardio is that calorie burn that can keep you from gaining the 10 pounds a year!! 

KBS

Sorry, I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.