Holiday Mindset. I have some questions for you!

Rachel_M
Guide
Guide

Hello AthletaWell Squad-  I would love to hear from you.

There are three questions in my mind around Holidays, Mental/Physical routine, and Values. The holidays stress me out a little but I find ways to stay physically and mentally balanced through shifting my workouts to being shorter, mentally committing to being on my phone less, and being more patient with expectations of my family. 

Check the video and respond in the comments.

Tagging some of the Athleta guides also @Dani_P @Leada_M @Marisa @Valerie_C @Margeaux_H @Heather_C 

Please share! Have fun with your thoughts!

9 REPLIES 9

Leada_M
Guide
Guide

Oh wow I love that you mentioned balance. Because I feel like I have a lot of things I have to DO.. but it's hard to pick which ones to do to find balance. I know I need to get most of my work done... so I'm mentally not preocuppied with it when I'm trying to stay present with the rest! I need my workouts done before all the family time, so I'm not stressed about missing workouts - not that it's detrimental to my progress but that it's actually just a part of my routine I like to keep. Thanks for this 🙂 I'm starting to feel the holiday pressure!!

P.S. @Rachel_M  LOVING the video you added with this by the way! 

Yes i'm with you on the workouts - keeps me level headed. I think the commitment to being on the phone less improves my frustration tolerance as well. 🙂 I do have to be on my phone for work so it forces me to be more efficient! Not a bad thing! And thank you!!

Marisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have family staying with me for nearly TWO WEEKS 😍 one thing we do so well is discuss activities that are meant for the whole family (hiking, dog walking) versus activities that we should all do on our own to recharge. I go running by myself and rely on my solo meditation and yoga practice to fill my own cup so that I'm energized to spend time with everyone else after

DUDE 2 days MAX!!!! Good luck

I would need to find ways to fill my cup too. Two weeks......

I do try to remind myself that family are the people who really have our backs. Good to connect with them. They're not always going to be around! 

Valerie_C
Guide
Guide
Do I get stressed around this time? -Only around feeling the pressure to buy people gifts. What do I actually need to stay physically and mentally well? -A gentle reminder that I can choose to be physically and mentally well. What do I value about the holidays and being around family? -We lost a dear family member last January from COVID right after New Years so this holiday season I am feeling extra appreciative for those who are here with me and the blessings we currently have in our lives. Love the video and food for thought @Rachel_M

Feeling for you on your loss. Yea there is no perfect approach but it's comforting hearing what you do. Covid changed a lot of the dynamics. Especially the conversation. Have the best time 🙂

Sarah_E
Guide
Guide

Great Q's THANK YOU! It's funny, I always look forward to this time of year and then spend the entire time making it "perfect" so by the time the days actually come (I celebrate both Hanukkah and Xmas), I'm somewhat depressed or let down. Every, single, year. I have to get on my mat every day, even if only for five minutes. That's where I stay grounded and remember my truth. And looking to my little man and letting him lead. Happy Holidays! 

You know, it's funny you mention that. It's weird how that low comes around. I definitely understand that and honestly think it's healthy--I don't know. I believe that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Lot of emotions, expectations etc. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your emotional journey and being human. Happy holidays to you too.