Transitioning Into Adulthood

GoodbyeVal

I'm in college right now and graduating in May. Though I'm a psych major, I don't know what to do with it or what job I want to go into. My parents are so excited for me to graduate and start my career, but I'm actually not looking forward to it at all.

There really isn't a career path that sticks out to me. I like to draw and paint, but those are hobbies that I wouldn't want to make my job. Any advice on how you transited into adulthood? How did you know what career field you wanted to go into? Time is running out and my parents are not letting up. I understand I should have a post grad plan, but I'm stuck. It makes me anxious to even think about the future really.

9 REPLIES 9

Sarah_E

You don’t need to know anything right now!!!! Try it all! and you can absolutely turn hobbies into careers. Maybe graphic design or teaching art. You’re going to live a lot of lives throughout adulthood. Try it all and know you’re never stuck. Expect at least three careers if not more 🤣 I’m a big believer in following your passions and seeing where they will take you (I.e. your art); you’ll always wonder otherwise 🤍🤍🤍

Yeah @Sarah_E I never thought of my art to move into a career but I'll consider it! I don't have any other options so why not lol. But I think my career will be a lot of trial and error haha

Sarah_Rodgers

So NORMAL to feel anxious!!! Don't worry, not many people actually know what they want to do after college let alone step into a role that aligns perfectly with their major. Have you done any internships or worked at all during school?? The one thing I can think of initially is marketing - there is an element of visual as well as psych involved... i,e., how you sell a product to a customer. What does your last year look like before you graduate? Are you going to work, internship, etc.? Leverage resources at your school to line up connections for a role after graduation - start somewhere...learning what you don't like (and do like) will help you along your career path. 

Sarah, personal change coach

Hi @Sarah_Rodgers, I had small jobs but never an internships. I'm a Resident Assistant for the dorms this year which will take a lot of my time, but its not a field I would want to go into for my career.

I know my sister talked about marketing, but I don't know too much about it. I think going to my career center may be a good idea because I really am lost, I just don't want to go in and they think I'm a complete lost cause that they can't help. But yeah I need to start somewhere, just have to figure out what that first step is...

Please go to the career center, I promise they won't think that of you - that's what they are there for! They will support you through the process, or at least they should...  I promise you there are "careers" out there you never knew existed. We have all gone through this type of angst, at least most of us have at one point or another. See if you can get an internship or at least a part time job while you are still in school - it will help you figure out what you like...and don't like. Unfortunately, you may have to try a few things before you figure out what you want to do, or even the next step. If you can't find anything for this last year, focus on what you may want to do after graduation...I know, this is how you started your post 🙂 Why did you choose your major? Do you want to work in the field or do you just want to apply the skills in possibly another area? My bro has a psych degree and does computer programming and data analytics now - his degree helps him work with people really well but to actually work in the field was something he decided wasn't for him. He started as an entry level support person for a small software company and had to actually get some experience before he knew which direction to take, at least for now. Think of it this way, you really need to try on a few dresses before you choose one...you have an idea of what color and style but aren't real sure until you try it on. You aren't alone, kudos for reaching out. Hugs

Thank you for your words of wisdom. It is encouraging to hear that I don't necessarily have to use my major for whatever field I go into. I think I know everything will be okay and I can go into any field I want, its just getting over the anxiety of taking those first steps and trying to choose a direction.

When school starts I'll be sure to *finally* check out the career center. I appreciate your help! @Sarah_Rodgers 

You got this GoodbyeVal and I am glad you are reaching out - I had NO idea where I was headed when I was your age (I'm almost 50). Limit social media when you can, its not always good for the soul and most of the time, far from reality. Best of luck starting your last year! xo

molly

When I was graduating from college, I felt like I was the only one of my friends who had NO idea what I wanted to do. Right after college I interned for a summer at the Democratic National Convention, I temped, I did data entry at a nonprofit, I started a blog. It was stressful, but it was also necessary! Even now (I'm in my late 30s), I don't feel like I've had a standard career path. Whatever job you find first does not have to be what you end up doing or even what you do for a long time. You'll always learn something and take skills onto your next adventure. It's never too late to make a switch. 

Yeah @molly I feel like I'm on a similar train. I am absolutely lost lol and May seems like a doomsday for me. But it really is a learning curve, its just finding that first position for me to go toward. But you do make me feel a little better about it! I think I should also do some research on different jobs. My main struggle is that no job I've seen really excites me. But fingers crossed I find something that I may want to do!