Natural remedies to sleep - or just stick to ambien?

Elua1953

I take ambien if I haven't slept more than a few hours for a few weeks. I'll take a really small dose for one or two nights in a row and it usually helps get me back on track. Does anyone else experience this?

If not ambien, does melatonin work for folks?

8 REPLIES 8

Valerie_C
Guide
Guide

@Elua1953 yes difficulty sleeping is pretty common and can occur in 30% of adults.  I would invite you to take a look at what's going on in your life that can contribute to difficulty sleeping.  Lifestyle factors like diet (as discussed above), caffeine intake too late in the day, not enough sunlight in the morning or too much screen time late in the day can contribute to difficulty sleeping at night.  Stress can also be the culprit or an overactive mind.  We'll be sharing a free sleep tool that'll help you take a self-inventory about your sleep.  Stay tuned for more info!

Melatonin is great a shifting one's sleep schedule if they have jet lag or delayed sleep phase syndrome (medical term for night owls).  Think of it as the person that waves the flag to start the race.  It helps us with our sleep timing but it really isn't a sedative.  Lavender, chamomile, hops, passion flower or magnesium are supplements that tend to be sleep promoting. 

Thanks for the read.  I have been experiencing sleep deprivation for years now - so much so that nothing seems to work for me (natural remedies, prescriptions, new bed...).  I've been pushing my doctors to refer me to a sleep clinic; but snoring is a prerequisite which I lack.  I'm looking forward to next week.

@GB-Simon Welcome and thanks for the reply.  Yes snoring is a very common condition that sleep doctors treat.  Most sleep doctors are trained to look into the common causes for sleep deprivation which include: obstructive sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, circadian rhythm disorders or insomnia.  Sleep doctors get pretty busy treating snoring and obstructive sleep apnea and tend to refer patients with insomnia to therapists or even psychiatrists.  I have a interest in treating insomnia from an integrative perspective and really enjoy working with women who have insomnia or are looking to optimize their sleep habits.  I hope you can attend the live event that @Rachel_M and I will be hosting on Wednesday, Oct 27.  It'll be about The Connection Between Sleep and Mental Health.  Hop on over to the events page to RSVP.  Thanks!

jennim

I take melatonin when I'm not able to sleep for a full night, which is most nights right now. I take 1mg, but it's a lozenge you out under your tongue. I've found that works best for me and I don't wake up groggy. 

10S_4_ME
I read an article not long ago about a study that suggested the following tip for falling asleep. (The combo of visualizing imagery with the randomness of the words is supposed to trigger the “dreaming” part of your brain.). To my surprise doing this method has been very helpful, and I was a night owl/insomniac! Tip: pick a word with not a lot of repeating letters. Such as “word”. Then, starting with 1st letter - W - think of as many words as you can that start with that letter, and mentally visualize each word. So…. Walrus, visualize a walrus… water…. Visualize water… and work your way through your initial word letters. I never make it more than 3 letters before I’ve drifted off, although I do sometimes wander off task and have to start over to get back on track. Try it, could work for you too! (It’s called cognitive shuffling: https://www.bustle.com/p/what-is-cognitive-shuffling-this-trick-might-help-you-get-to-sleep-easier-5...)

Michu09

The SLEEP WELL 100% Natural balms from Scentered are amazing: https://scentered.com/collections/sleep-well , you can also use ATHLETA20 code for 20% on all products if you would like to try it. Here is an article about. You can check out this NY Magazine article about it "

This Lavender-Scented Stick Is Like Ambien Without the Side Effects" https://nymag.com/strategist/article/scentered-aromatherapy-sleep-well-balm-stick-review.html

I am a big fan of aromatherapy and even wrote about it in my book, "Integrative Sleep Medicine"

However please be warned that there are potential side effects and one brand was recently recalled as it was associated with rare deaths due to bacterial infections. 

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/Walmart-Recalls-Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Essential-Oil-Infused-Aro...

Valerie_C
Guide
Guide

@Elua1953 Hi great question!  I would invite you to find the root cause for why you are having a hard time sleeping.  Sometimes it can be lifestyle factors and we created a great sleep journal to help you find the culprit.  Hop on over to my Ask Me Anything where I break down melatonin and other supplements.